South Island Tour Febuary 2012

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

South Island Tour Febuary 2012

Postby KiwiBirkin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi I just thought I would throw this out there too see if any one was interested in this idea of a South island 7 day tour in Sevens the paln would be for it too happen say next summer 2011 and tour through some of the more intresting roads in the South island. Would any one be interested in such an event.

Cheers Stephen
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Re: South Island tour

Postby nz_climber » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:00 pm

Interested depending on getting car certed and rego etc..

I remember talk to Clives brother Don (purple Mcgregor with RPI V8) about their trip around the south, sounded great, Clive will tell you were they went but I know they did Queenstown/Wanaka.
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby Gollum » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Last edited by Gollum on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum

Postby KiwiBirkin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:41 pm

Some good ideas there Paul.

So what would be a good time frame for this I see in another post that you said early 2011 so we would be looking at Feb-March time this would give us about 18 months to sort it out, I could also fit it in in March- April 2010 if you were intrested in it then. ???

Stephen
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Postby Gollum » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:26 am

Gollum

Postby Gollum » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 am

Gollum

Postby KiwiBirkin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Thats a great web site Paul, I have seen it before and have read every page and enjoyed reading about their trips in the Caterham and its what finally sent me off to buy my car and do what they were doing but around NZ.

You have some great ideas and I think we should start planning a route first and get ideas where to go and what to see also we want to drive the more intresting roads around the south island and stay away from the normal tourist routes except for the Hast pass and west coast road, I know Clive here has done a big trip with his brother around the south island last year so he may be able to help us out with intresting roads.

I would suggest we could stay at campasites as they over a good range of diffrent acomm styles from camping to small cabins to some good size cabins the Top 10 parks are really good in that area. Ill start looking at a map this week end and marking down some ideas. Another suggestion could be to include a day at Warbirds over Wanaka which is on in April 2010.

Stephen
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Postby Gollum » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:06 pm

Gollum

Postby nz_climber » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Warbirds sounds good, my car won't be ready but I'll see you there as hopefully be working (best way to see everything for free including food & accomadation.. And can't bet flying in)
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby KiwiBirkin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Top 10 camps will nearly all ways have cabins and tent space after Febuary as most of the familys have gone home.

So lets get a date set i'd like to suggest 2011 say sometime in March as the weather is still good and it gives us 18 months to plan and figure out really good routes to drive lets say 7 days for the tour off the South island with the tour heading from Christchurch and meeting up with any North Island cars at Picton and from there we start out trip finishing at christchurch so that northerners can carry on up to pick up the ferry or head back the towns at the top of the south island.

First suggestion for the start and first couple of days. (All overnight stops have a Top 10 holiday park)

Day 1

Christchurch drivers leave Chrischurch and head to Picton to meet up with any cars who would come from the North Island have lunch at Picton and then on from Picton to Nelson via Queen Charlotte Drive and HWY6, this then gives us some time to have a quite beer and chat about the trip and meet each other before we start the main part of our trip. Total distance for Christchurch drivers 444kms

Day 2
From Nelson we head to Motueka and through the Motueka Vally road to Westport and down the west coast road to stay at Franz Josef for the night Total Distance 512kms

Day 3
From Franz Josef we head to Wanaka via the awsome Haast pass (283km) and then on for a overnight stop at Queenstown, this would be a short drive in kms as I could imagine a few stops on the west coast road and in the Haast pass and at Wanaka. Total Distance 352kms.

Here is a link to the route via Google maps.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=d&sourc ... 348083&z=9

So thats 3 night including Queenstown but the big drives have been done by then, this now leave the bottom of the south island which I dont know too much about.

Cheers Stephen
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Next

Return to South Island