CHCH Evening run Wed 20th Nov 2013

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Re: CHCH Evening run Wed 20th Nov 2013

Postby KiwiBirkin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:31 am

Went for a blat after work tonight in conjunction with your guys blat, left at 4:30pm and arrived home at 6pm (no daylight saving) we needed to be home before dusk and all the larger creatures decided to stir as we dont fancy hitting a Roo in Grace.

Was a nice evening around 24 deg and we covered around 80kms on some good twisty roads out the back in the hinterland with a coffee stop. It was good to get out in the early evening after 7 days of fantastic thunder and lighting storms around the same time each evening. Hope you guys had a good blat and John hope you get the issue sorted out.

Pics are at the local lake near us just as the sun is about to go.

Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Postby 20vseven » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Nice evening, great run. Pity I had an electrical meltdown about 2 km from Tai Tapu. Not so much fun getting towed home at 10:30 pm. Damn oriental wiring (I'm sure). Can't blame Lucas for this one!
20vseven

Postby X7RACR » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Too bad, the Mazda had been going so well up to then... Wonder how John's temperature is?
Good run, thanks all for coming. 3rd Wednesday in December next...
X7RACR

Postby jmsnz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:24 pm

X7RACR wrote:Wonder how John's temperature is?

Well, it will be running extremely hot at the moment 'cos I have taken the radiator off and drained it!!

Ran the hose through it and it seems to flow fine. Have got a new thermostat from Toyota, some anti-freezer and a new temp sender from Scott just in case. Hopefully will find a chance to put it all back together this weekend between kids sport, lawn mowing etc. Then it is a case of discovering that it was just a thermostat issue - or not!
jmsnz
Paid Member

Postby X7RACR » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:20 pm

jmsnz wrote:
X7RACR wrote:Wonder how John's temperature is?

Well, it will be running extremely hot at the moment 'cos I have taken the radiator off and drained it!!

Ran the hose through it and it seems to flow fine. Have got a new thermostat from Toyota, some anti-freezer and a new temp sender from Scott just in case. Hopefully will find a chance to put it all back together this weekend between kids sport, lawn mowing etc. Then it is a case of discovering that it was just a thermostat issue - or not!

I remember hearing that Frasers sometimes run hot with standard thermostat and some people drill a couple of holes in the flange to increase flow a bit. Mine was opposite - temp dropped like a stone at speed. I bought a new one and found the old one had no less than 10 3mm holes in the flange! Might as well have not been there! Never had a problem with standard one after I fitted it.
X7RACR

Postby jmsnz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Just for completeness, the magic number appears to be 3 for my car. Quite a long story as to why mine had none, but now that I have drilled 3 into it I have a nice consistent temperature just over 80 degrees on the gauge even in traffic. Was confident enough to take it over to Akaroa at the weekend and it climbed up to just under 100 following one of the many campervans up the hill, but once in clear air it was fine again.

Hopefully I'll make it to the next evening run.

Cheers

John
jmsnz
Paid Member

Postby nz_climber » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Sounds like something is not right in the cooling system. Is the thermostat opening correctly? as you should only need 1 hole just to help bleed air out of the system. Also sounds like the fan is not coming at right time either. My temp doesn't even get that high when on the track!
nz_climber
Paid Member

Previous

Return to South Island