Barry's MX7 Locost

For keeping us up dated on your building of a Clubbie/Seven replica

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
User's Projects / Build Ups Forum Rules
This section of where you guys can show off the progress you make as your build comes together of your clubman, give details of any modification progress, share pictures etc. There are just a few rules that need to be followed for this forum to stay nice, clean and easy to use:

1. ONE thread per project please. You all have access to edit your own posts, so do that. You may post as many times as you feel like it within your allocated thread.
2. Only the person who owns the thread may post in it. Any others will be deleted. If you want to ask questions, comment or start a discussion, start a thread in the Project Discussion section or use the private message function.
3. You may not use your thread for anything else apart from showing off your car and it's build process, use the other forums for this.
4. Thread titles must be include your user name and a little about the project please.

Important : As this was a exsisting forum moved to its new home all exsisting build diarys will carry on as they are but by the new rules

Cheers Stephen

Re: Barry's MX7 Locost

Postby jp928 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:01 pm

Good to see more mx5 bits going to a good use. We have just finished an Almac with a 1.8 engine and a turbo, but only for road use. We saw 162Kw atw after tuning.

I think I saw welded extensions in the tie rods - is that allowed? In oz we are not allowed anything welded in steering gear, unless its OEM stuff.

No intercooler ? What pressure do you plan on running ? The MX5 SE ran 6psi and they used an intercooler. We are limited to 8psi and run a big intercooler. Mate with a Rotrex blower peaks at 10psi, also with a big intercooler.

jp
jp928

Postby emmex7 » Sun May 03, 2015 5:28 pm

The extensions are one piece machined steel but earlier on I used some dummy ones with nuts welded on a piece of pipe just to set it up and check for bump steer - it may be those you saw. I definitely wouldn't drive with those on.

As for the intercooler- there will be one when the car is 'properly' built, at the moment there is a temporary inlet pipe manufactured from a exclusive modular composite system (definitely not Marley downpipe fittings)

Cheers

Emmex7
emmex7
Paid Member

Postby emmex7 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Okay. More than two years since my last post. How did that happen? Despite appearances I have been making progress, albeit progress at a glacial pace. I've taken a few photos of bits and pieces but never quite got around to posting them. I've 'trial fitted' most items and had the car running nicely with lights, mudguards indicators etc. Then I pulled it all apart again! The chassis has now been stripped to a a bare frame and LVVTA design approval has been obtained. Had the first certifier inspection for the welding and failed on some critical welds which, to be perfectly honest, were not good enough so I wont complain about that! The problem is that when you grind out a blobby Mig weld and and replace it with a nice neat tig you really need to do the one beside it as well... and so on. The upshot is I ended up replacing the majority of the visible welds and I'm much happier with it - even better - so is the certifier!

So now the build starts for real and it feels like I've turned a corner with the project. The intention is to reawaken this thread and walk through the build from here including those pictures from "the missing years" as I get to each item. Who knows I might actually do it!
emmex7
Paid Member

Postby emmex7 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Stripped all the primer and any surface rust using paint remover wheels and rotary wire brush then treated with POR15 metal prep.
One coat of POR15 and a top coat of POR15 Chassis Black - now ready for assembly
emmex7
Paid Member

Postby emmex7 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:48 am

With the frame painted I've moved on to the floor panel. I'm using 2.5 mm Aluminium with Sikaflex 552AT assembly adhesive and riveted at nominal 1" spacing. I have some aircraft spec Cherrymax rivets left over from a previous project so I'll use those along with some standard sealed rivets. Every 2nd rivet along the sides will be countersunk for floor attachment allowing the side panels to be riveted with the remaining holes. Marking and drilling these holes takes some time but its a fun job that I've been looking forward to for a long time - it feels like I'm making progress after a long time stalled.

Emmex7
emmex7
Paid Member

Postby emmex7 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Floor has now been bonded and riveted in place. The cheap air riveter from Topmaq worked a treat for installing the rivets. Had to clear a couple of jams with the stems but no real drama. I'm now installing a panel for under the nose which also provides a flange for mounting the forward end of a future sump guard. I incorporated a couple of small vents to direct air toward my oil cooler. I'm pretty sure this won't be needed from a cooling perspective but it's a lot easier to do now than to try and do later if I find it's needed.

/Emmex7
emmex7
Paid Member

Postby emmex7 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 pm

A little more progress. I've now installed the panel behind the seats. I used 1/8" countersunk cherrymax aircraft rivets bought off ebay (29 USD / 100). Countersunk because I intend to cover the panel later and dont want fastener heads sticking out and I prefer the cherrymax because they have much less tendency to vibrate loose so hopefully the panel won't rattle. I added some flanges to attach the inner panels as well.

Also now installed the rear panel. Rolling the top edge went better than expected although it's not perfect by any stretch. I have a little cleaning up to do yet but it looks alright to me.

Side panels are next. Have them both cut out and ready to go. I took a lot of time getting the sizes of the cutouts right for the suspension and exhaust and I'm happy with the result. Good news is that they both fit and are symmetrical - apart from the exhaust of course.

On a slightly different note, I have been debating what seats to use for some time. Although I might put a race seat in for track days eventually I have decided on the easy option of using the MX5 seats from my donor. These are actually pretty comfortable and have the advantages of being able to fit and not costing anything more! The upholstery was pretty ragged so on a previous trip to the US I picked up a replacement upholstery set for about 140 USD. I finally got around to trying to fit the passenger side and it worked out great. It's a bit fiddly to get some o fthe hog rings in correctly and to get the vinyl sitting right but they are obviously based on the orginal seat patterns and fit well enough. Might need to be careful in the sunlight but should be a bit better if they get wet!

now need to take a deep breath and have a go at getting the side panels installed.

Emmex7
emmex7
Paid Member

Previous

Return to Build Diaries