Library

How to improve this forum

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Library

Postby Gollum » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:25 pm

Last edited by Gollum on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gollum

Re: Library

Postby Gollum » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:27 pm

Might even build a bit of a registry.....
Gollum

Postby KiwiBirkin » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Good idea paul and its easy to do can you give me some suggestions for a forum header and then sub forums and I will set it up, also which section of the forums you would like it to sit under.
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Postby Gollum » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Gollum

Postby Fivey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Hmm... I'm not sure using a forum like phpBB for creating a repository of reference info is the best way to go... it'd be too hard to find anything... a wiki would be better, but unfortunately phpBB doesn't have an integrated wiki or mod to add one - that I am aware of at least. And there is no point trying to build all this stuff up in Wikipedia either, as the moderation police would pounce over it for not being notable and not having enough third party referencing. I'm not aware of any existing wikis about building kit cars or similar, so unless someone else knows of one we could add to, we'll need to create our own (well, it was being suggested that we create our own content anyway, using the forum).

Stephen, do you have an option on your hosting service for MediaWiki or similar? Perhaps we could start a wiki alongside the forum - where the forum remains the place for interaction, but we can build up a set of reference pages in the wiki. We'd need to have a link to the other at the top of each, so it would be easy to find the forum from the wiki and vice versa.

If we go down the wiki route, we don't actually need to figure out a structure of the material (first by make then model; or whatever alternatives) as all the pages are at the same level: You can have a page on Westfield, and you can have pages for each of the Sport, XI, Megabusa, Seight, and so on. The Westfield page just refers to the other pages that detail the models they make.

Plus, there is nothing to stop us also creating other reference information in the wiki: a page on the 4AGE would be good. And one for the 3SGE. And one for the 1600 Crossflow. And one for the BP... and so on. And perhaps a page called 'engine choice for seven replicas' to collate all the options together in a list.

Plus, you can then add more abstract pages: eg designs for front suspension elements. Or more practical pages: how to tune your ECU.

But even having all that reference information, there will still be lots of questions to ask and answer... and that is where a forum like this really works.
Fivey
Paid Member

Postby McGregor Motorsport » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:23 pm

Fivey wrote:Hmm... I'm not sure using a forum like phpBB for creating a repository of reference info is the best way to go... it'd be too hard to find anything... a wiki would be better, but unfortunately phpBB doesn't have an integrated wiki or mod to add one - that I am aware of at least. And there is no point trying to build all this stuff up in Wikipedia either, as the moderation police would pounce over it for not being notable and not having enough third party referencing. I'm not aware of any existing wikis about building kit cars or similar, so unless someone else knows of one we could add to, we'll need to create our own (well, it was being suggested that we create our own content anyway, using the forum).

Stephen, do you have an option on your hosting service for MediaWiki or similar? Perhaps we could start a wiki alongside the forum - where the forum remains the place for interaction, but we can build up a set of reference pages in the wiki. We'd need to have a link to the other at the top of each, so it would be easy to find the forum from the wiki and vice versa.

If we go down the wiki route, we don't actually need to figure out a structure of the material (first by make then model; or whatever alternatives) as all the pages are at the same level: You can have a page on Westfield, and you can have pages for each of the Sport, XI, Megabusa, Seight, and so on. The Westfield page just refers to the other pages that detail the models they make.

Plus, there is nothing to stop us also creating other reference information in the wiki: a page on the 4AGE would be good. And one for the 3SGE. And one for the 1600 Crossflow. And one for the BP... and so on. And perhaps a page called 'engine choice for seven replicas' to collate all the options together in a list.

Plus, you can then add more abstract pages: eg designs for front suspension elements. Or more practical pages: how to tune your ECU.

But even having all that reference information, there will still be lots of questions to ask and answer... and that is where a forum like this really works.

You lost me at "phpBB"....back to spanners for me! :D
McGregor Motorsport

Postby Fivey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:15 pm

McGregor Motorsport wrote:You lost me at "phpBB"....back to spanners for me! :D

haha!
Fivey
Paid Member

Postby Gollum » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:41 am

Gollum

Postby Lynx88 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:10 am

Gollum wrote:Might even build a bit of a registry.....

I've got a few articles about the Lynx, and a copy of the Lynx Club register from 1990 if anyone's interested...

What's that you say?? No-one cares about those, seeing as there's only 2 members that have/had them, one of which has sold and upgraded, and the other who is never on the forum??

Oh, fair enough then...

:lol:
82 KP60 Starlet 4AGTE

"Driving fast on the track does not scare me. What scares me is when I drive on the highway I get passed by some idiot who thinks he is Fangio." - Juan Manuel Fangio
Lynx88

Return to Suggestions