Some Will Say I've Gone to the Dark Side

Discuss any thing else here.

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Some Will Say I've Gone to the Dark Side

Postby jmsnz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:51 pm

I have considered doing this several times over the years, but I have finally taken the plunge and now own this one...
It seemed like a good idea at the time, lets hope it proves to be.

For those that care, it is a 2003 Series 2 with the VVC Rover K Series engine that is claimed to have 150hp or so and has traveled 70,000km's or so. Officially it is known as a 111 Sport and was one of a limited build of 150 delivered to Aussie, NZ and Hong Kong. That probably means that Lotus had some leftover bits that the marketing department could create a name for. It goes OK without the ultimate oomph of the Fraser with its mildly worked 3S-GE, but I think that it will be much easier to live with and use. It has amazing things like air-con, windows and even a stereo that you can (kind of) hear when you are driving. Mind you, believe it or not the Fraser probably has more boot space and is easier to get in and out of!
jmsnz
Paid Member

Re: Some Will Say I've Gone to the Dark Side

Postby Birdman 7 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Congratulations on the new purchase John. You now have a roof, although I gather that to easily access the drivers seat in these it is better for it to be removed. You will enjoy fanging this around Ruapuna. It will be interesting to hear how it compares with the Fraser.

Cheers
Grant
Birdman 7
Paid Member

Postby 7ish » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:43 am

Has the 7 moved on?

Nice choice.
7ish
7ish
Paid Member

Postby jmsnz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:30 am

7ish wrote:Has the 7 moved on?

Nice choice.

Not at the moment. I am undecided about that will see how Elise ownership goes first.
jmsnz
Paid Member

Postby jmsnz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:51 am

Had my longest drive to date in the car, +/-200kms upto Terrace Downs and back and done just on 500kms in total now. Took along a mate who was returning his car to its home in Ashburton.
Its a 1934 Rolls that gets 10mpg on a good day! Sure puts the cost of the Lotus into perspective.

Really enjoying the Elise, a lot less 'fuss' than the Fraser just get in a drive and much easier to pedal briskly. No concerns about wacking sumps, a lot less wind noise, overall much quieter and a much bigger fuel range but nowhere near as raw.

Peoples reactions are interesting as well. In the Fraser the common question is did you build it whereas in the Elise it seems to be 'what is it' and the best to date, 'oh I have only ever seen one of those in Grand Turismo'
jmsnz
Paid Member

Postby Esprit » Wed May 03, 2017 11:36 pm

The Sport 111, a very cool car. There were 3 originally imported into NZ. Yours, a Type 23 and a Type 25. The Type 25 was crashed and repaired when near new (I believe on Targa) and is still somewhere around the North Island. The Type 23 got modified, then eventually got a Supercharged Honda transplant kicking out about 400 bhp or so, and then sold to someone in Australia.

They were a track-optimised special in a similar way to the UK/Europe 135R cars. The tuned 135 engine couldn't be made emissions compliant in Asia, so the Sport 111 was created with a spec identical to the S135, but with the VVC engine from the 111S instead. It was a very cool spec at the time and I reckon one of the real gems of the S2 Elise range.
Esprit

Postby KiwiBirkin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi Lotus John, love the S2 cars.
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic