Photobucket - oh dear

Discuss any thing else here.

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Photobucket - oh dear

Postby bzrse7en » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Looks like photobucket are changing a few things and we might loose plenty of interesting photos on this forum.
Oz clubbies lave lost a few.
bzrse7en

Re: Photobucket - oh dear

Postby KiwiBirkin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Yeh its a dam shame and came out of the blue its basically holding people to ransom, we wil have lost 10 years of photos from anyone who used the forum and linked from Photobucket, I know all my photos will be gone and replaced with that shitty placeholder, so angry with them right now.
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Postby Gollum » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:50 pm

Yep, I've posted a lot of Lotus Seven and Manta Mirage articles to different boards around the world. A lot of it is (was) material that was new to the members or articles that were hard to get. Now none of it is linked anymore - just those stupid notices. I've deleted my Photobucket account now. There is a period of a few months before it is actually deleted, I figure that if enough people do the same, Photobucket might pull their head in.
Gollum

Postby Not-a-Number » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Im sure someone will workout a program to work through all posts on a forum and find a google cache of the image then download, replace it and host directly from the forums servers.

The thing that sux most is it will affect so many old posts that people wont bother to fix. You go and find a post from 2005 on how to replace the waterpump on your corolla and all the images will be gone! It just messes with the internet! Most of my images are screwed!
Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Postby KiwiBirkin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:11 pm

From what I can read this move has affected over 100 million pics that were linked on forums for the last 10 years, that's a lot of screwed up internet sites now, they should have made it so going forward all linking need to be payed for and existing images would be un-affected, I have 10 years worth of content on here I wouldn't even know where to start to fix it, looking at each image and re linking would take months if not a year.
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Postby KiwiBirkin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi guys we need to start talking about going forward with the Photobucket problem.

One thought is to archive the forum and restart again with exactly the same forums but with a zero count of posts like we are starting again, day 0 to be exact, the archive will still be accessible but will have a note saying that a lot of the threads will be broken due to the image problem, and the threads carry on in the new part, I know this will affect build diary's but it will at least allow the forum to function going forward. We could add starting date for the archive to start and the new forum to go live, say August the 1st. It will take some doing on my part to recreate all the forums but that's not an issue really.

Thoughts
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Postby jmsnz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:43 pm

KiwiBirkin wrote:Hi guys we need to start talking about going forward with the Photobucket problem.

One thought is to archive the forum and restart again with exactly the same forums but with a zero count of posts like we are starting again, day 0 to be exact, the archive will still be accessible but will have a note saying that a lot of the threads will be broken due to the image problem, and the threads carry on in the new part, I know this will affect build diary's but it will at least allow the forum to function going forward. We could add starting date for the archive to start and the new forum to go live, say August the 1st. It will take some doing on my part to recreate all the forums but that's not an issue really.

Thoughts

Don't do that.

The missing photo's are clearly a pain, but there are several reasons to keep the current content:
a) Not all photos have been linked from Photobucket
b) Not all PB photos are missing (yet)
c) Some posters might update their old posts
d) The text might still be useful without the photos
e) Some posters might be able to put a reference at the top of thread to an external album that readers have to wade through if they are interested
f) Starting again with discourage new members, there simply won't be enough content. I don't know what the volume of posts/new members are but I suspect it is well down on previous times
g) PB might yet realise that they have F..... a good proportion of the world off and change the policy, I mean it isn't like they have deleted the content or anything, they could change their stance tomorrow

But I would have thought that the main reason not to do that is that it will take quite a bit of your time that could be being spent doing stuff like, driving Grace, driving the Jeep, looking for an Elise to buy or drinking beer.

Cheers,

John
jmsnz
Paid Member

Postby Talkiet » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Yeah, definitely not worth a restart. Worth adding a sticky post in all forums, to at least try and ensure people know about it - although I suspect most visitors will be painfully aware.

Probably worth putting in the post that it wouldn't be considered rude to at least drop the author of a post a note requesting the photos be updated if they are of specific interest. I'm not suggesting everyone will (or would even have the photos still themselves, but worth a try)

Cheers - N
Talkiet
Paid Member

Postby KiwiBirkin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:37 pm

OK cheers guys for the feedback, I will leave the forum as it is, I have a sticky post about the Photobucket issue already up but I will make it a more informative post this week and keep it as a Global Announcement for the foreseeable future.

BTW we still get quite a bit of traffic to the forum and at least 1-2 new members a month, quite happy with that as it keeps the traffic costs down.

Cheers Stephen
KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Postby 7ish » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 pm

I have used imgur for my pics.... still free at the moment.
7ish
7ish
Paid Member

Next

Return to Off Topic