Car shipping

Idle chat about any thing Sevens & Clubman cars.

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Car shipping

Postby Fish86 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:42 pm

I thought I would start a new thread as this I a bit unrelated to the other one I had on the go

Well guys, I purchased a Chevron!!!

Thanks jmsnz for pointing her out and to all the others who have given me feedback over the last few months.

to quote jmsnz:

"Well, if 7 ownership was easy, everyone would have one!" so I bought the least easiest one to get on the south island, lol.

I will look forward to everyone's help in the future as I slowly work away at her.

One question as I am getting quotes, does anyone have a recommended company to get it shipped from south island (Timaru) to Auckland. I have had a couple around $1400 which is fine but I thought I would put it out there if people have had good/bad experiences,

Cheers

Chris
Fish86

Re: Car shipping

Postby scottie84 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:14 pm

You mean you're not flying down to drive it back? :mrgreen:

Give Car Distribution Group a call if you haven't already, also try Carr & Haslam. They are both Auckland based and operate all over NZ.

Cheers
Scott
scottie84

Postby jmsnz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:37 pm

I feel a bit responsible but well done, congratulations and I hope it works out well for you.

I have bought 2 Frasers from the lower North Island but collected both of them myself. One I flew up and drove back, the other I drove up and trailered back, albeit it did come with a trailer, so I have never had to use a transporting company. Maybe buy a trailer as well and do the same. Will cost more but you end up with a trailer which will be useful for getting to the racetrack once you have the car finished. For example http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/trailers/single-axle/auction-1301877659.htm.

I am only partly being smart, depending on how you value your time versus money it might be worth it. In the case that I trailered the car home I ended up with a heap more 'stuff' than I may have if I had it transported, just because I was in his shed and asking questions.
jmsnz
Paid Member

Postby fiddler » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:13 pm

I have just had one of those bad luck moments or horror story with transporting my McGregor I brought from Te Awamutu down to Gore. The car was driven onto the Transporter in Te Awamutu and when I got the call to pick it up in Gore they told me it wont start. Starter motor wouldn't turn over so I trailered it home to my horror when I got there I noticed there was no sump plug and the motor is seized solid. So now I have my new toy sitting there and isn't going to be driven for a long time until I can afford to do a repower.
fiddler

Postby Fish86 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 am

Who did you have ship it?
Fish86

Postby fiddler » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Was shipped by car Distribution. Picked up by transporter then transferred to boat in Auckland shipped to Christchurch then back on transporter down to Gore.
fiddler

Postby Gollum » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Sounds like the previous owner needs a slap. Who removes a sump plug and leaves a car able to be started if it has been sold and is being moved?
Gollum

Postby fiddler » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:10 pm

You can imagine the reply I got when I rang up and quizzed him on it. I brought it unseen so i learned the hard way.
fiddler

Postby Fish86 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:33 pm

the previous owner who I am dealing with (fingers crossed) is pretty nice and has asked if I could wait a week as he has been working on the car while it was listed and wants to get it back to driveable and take it around the block one more time before he says good bye to her. As I am working out shipping, I told him driveable is easier to ship so I am not impatient....ok, I really want it in front of me so I can see her face to face but I have been looking for 6-8 months now so an extra week or two is do-able.
Fish86

Postby 7Rick7 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:31 pm

I have had a terrible previous experience with the car distribution group...

A couple of years ago I bought a car (not a seven - fortunately!) from Auckland and had it shipped to Wellington (I was away for work so couldn't drive it down). During the trip down the car was on the bottom level of the transporter and the tie down strop from the car above came loose and the large metal bracket was swinging and banging against the front of my car the whole way from Auckland to Wellington. Is fair to say the new car was a proper mess when it arrived, with very extensive cosmetic damage all over the front half of the vehicle (picture 10,000 little dents).

Unfortunately the car distribution group didn't want a bar of it - when I showed them the damage they just shrugged their shoulders. To make matters worse, their liability is limited to $2,000 (see the Carriage of Goods Act).

Luckily, I had purchased the car from a dealer, and as such, was able to not formally "take delivery" of the vehicle as they organised the shipping, and get a full refund for the car...

In summary - I would never ever use the Car Distribution Group, and if using another carrier, would ensure I had explicit confirmation from my insurance company that the vehicle is covered.

I hope that helps.

Rick
7Rick7

Next

Return to General Sevens Chat