Perished fuel hose

Anything else

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Perished fuel hose

Postby heavyseven » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 am

I noticed some of my fuel hoses are quite perished. I thought it was because they have no cover and are exposed to the sun, but the hoses under the bonnet of the same type are in the same condition.
Anyone know a good brand and a place to source it?
heavyseven
Paid Member

Re: Perished fuel hose

Postby 7ish » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:22 pm

I used marine spec fuel hose...buy from any marine place. Fire resistant as well....
Cheers
7ish
7ish
Paid Member

Postby Gollum » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:33 pm

This is a timely question as I've been a bit nervous as to my recent purchase of fuel line. This is what I've used to replace some 30+ year old perished pipe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/fuel-systems/auction-1235502883.htm

The ISO rating seems to suggest that it is an appropriate standard of hose but I'd be keen for any advice.
Gollum

Postby heavyseven » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:35 am

Marine spec sounds promising... I'll hunt some down.
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby heavyseven » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:15 pm

Look at this rubbish.
Can't recall what shop I got it from yet, but it's all perished similarly regardless of where in the car it was located.
http://imgur.com/le9y0d4

The new stuff looks much better. But I'll still keep my eye on it...
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby scottie84 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:40 pm

This is something I need to get into as well. My previous housemates really didn't appreciate the overwhelming aroma of petrol when I parked my car in the garage. It's a bit more pressing now the bloody car has decided it doesn't want to run at the mo... Fuel pump is the issue me thinks, just haven't had the time to look into it yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scottie84

Postby bzrse7en » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:59 am

Where did that hose come from?
It is a worry if it came from, say, repco. Can you imagine new - 5 year old cars spewing out their fuel al over the floor.
bzrse7en

Postby Gollum » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:04 pm

bzrse7en wrote:Where did that hose come from?
It is a worry if it came from, say, repco. Can you imagine new - 5 year old cars spewing out their fuel al over the floor.

Makes you realise that a standard printed on an item doesn't necessarily mean anything! You would hope that Repco etc would have their supply-chain sorted. It's more likely the Aliexpress-tradérs on Tradesmen that are selling dangerous shit.
Gollum

Postby Haynes7 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Beware of Marine spec hoses, I have fitted some previously to an LPG vehicle because the hoses perished as they were often dry/exposed to engine heat. WOF inspector made me remove it because it didn't have the right standard written on the side of it.
I was using reinforced clear hose, so it was obvious it had changed, I don't think it would have been an issue if I had used a standard looking black hose.
I have lots of sanity - in a jar - but I think the dog buried it somewhere & now I cannot find it.
Haynes7

Postby 7ish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Marine spec fuel hose has all tge right numbers and is designed for fire resistance....
7ish
7ish
Paid Member

Return to General Tech