Tyre temp monitors

Anything else

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Tyre temp monitors

Postby Talkiet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:51 pm

I'm NOT saying it'll definitely happen, but I have ordered the parts to build a proof of concept realtime tire temp monitoring and logging system. Hopefully it'll give live outer, middle and inner tyre surface temperatures for all 4 wheels, as well as brake disc temp for each corner.

Just curious if anyone would be interested in this sort of thing, either as a set, or as a single wheel unit to move around for one time setup type use.

The only off the shelf things I can see are well over $250 USD per wheel, and that's assuming you have an existing logger (like a motec ECU)... Complete systems seem to start well north of $1500 USD, but there's not many I can find at the moment - there are a couple that seem to be unavailable now.

I reckon a complete system could be built for probably $100/wheel, and maybe another $200 for the brains, maybe a little more if there's a nice screen. This excludes any contribution towards recovering development time so I don't know (if it works, and if I was to sell them) what they would end up at - but it would be a lot cheaper than anything else I have found.

Has anyone else looked into this? It honestly doesn't look like rocket science and it seems to be mostly plugging together easily available components and just a little software development - I am surprised I couldn't find all sorts of how-to's on youtube!

Cheers - N
Talkiet
Paid Member
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Postby 7ish » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi Neil,
I just spent 35quid on a tyre temp probe that plugs into my multimeter...

http://ratemperaturesensors.co.uk/adjustable-racing-tyre-probe-rak-rtp-adj-dunlop-2247-p.asp


Not loggable or on the fly, but will do for me.
7ish
User avatar
7ish
Paid Member
 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Northwood,Christchurch

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Postby Talkiet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 pm

7ish wrote:Hi Neil,
I just spent 35quid on a tyre temp probe that plugs into my multimeter...

http://ratemperaturesensors.co.uk/adjustable-racing-tyre-probe-rak-rtp-adj-dunlop-2247-p.asp

Not loggable or on the fly, but will do for me.


Ah of course yes... I knew about the touch probes but I am specifically after seeing what happens on track... (Of course I have no real idea of how quickly the tyres cool down again so don't really know how much utility I am gaining by not waiting to get back in the pits... :-)

ALso looking to build a set of wifi corner weighting scales as well based on the same platform.

Cheers - N
Talkiet
Paid Member
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Postby nz_climber » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Hey Neil, very interested in what you are doing and happy to help where I can. Are you thinking about using Arduino or similar?
I am currently working on building myself a colour dash display (like motec and other expensive items.) Will be building in data logging in the future too. The brains will be an Arduino mega. Screen is 7inch 4d systems display

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
User avatar
nz_climber
Paid Member
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Palmerston North

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Postby Talkiet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:40 pm

nz_climber wrote:Hey Neil, very interested in what you are doing and happy to help where I can. Are you thinking about using Arduino or similar?
I am currently working on building myself a colour dash display (like motec and other expensive items.) Will be building in data logging in the future too. The brains will be an Arduino mega. Screen is 7inch 4d systems display

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk


Yes, it'll be an arduino derivative of some sort. I am moving into a new house in a couple of weeks and have just decided on all the smart home smarts... Lots of the sensors are wee nodeMCU arduino clone things ($5 each) with tons of sensors like temp, humidity, light, motion and an RGB LED. After getting all the stuff I needed for that I started having a look at the other sensors available and the IR temp sensors out of cheap non contact thermometers are cheap... Throw them plus a couple of i2c multiplexors together and you can have 16 channels of IR temp reading reasonably easily and cheaply logged. Then all that's needed is some python to stream it out to a web page, or even add a screen. Even logging is easy with simple logging to an SD card.

Then I looked at the load cells and there's a little work with a wheatstone bridge and some ADCs, but again, I think a set of 4 wifi connected corner scales should be cheap and give you a display on your phone pretty easily...

I've ordered enough parts to muck around with the IR sensors so far... will update when I get proof of concept working.

Cheers - N
Talkiet
Paid Member
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Postby Talkiet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Assuming the POC works out ok, I'll be looking for help machining the mounting hardware (including one for the brake disk if the emissivity isn't too difficult)... I have a plan for the corner scales as well and will need some nice thick aluminium plate machined for that.
Cheers -N
Talkiet
Paid Member
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Postby bzrse7en » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Interested in corner weight scales.
Maybe prototype in MDF first before looking at alloy.
bzrse7en
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Rolleston Canterbury

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Postby nz_climber » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Sounds like some good ideas, I haven't come across the node mcu stuff before and only dealt with wired sensors on Arduino. For the temp sensors I think logging to SD card would be best then can visualize easily with a few graphs in Excel. Be interested in the sensors you use as last time I looked they were a bit much for 4 per corner. But everything is always getting cheaper.

Patrick i the idea of mdf(or plywood) corner weight scales be more than strong enough for our cars. Especially​ since they wouldn't be used every weekend. Again finding cheap sensors is the key as probably need 4 per corner as well.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
User avatar
nz_climber
Paid Member
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Palmerston North

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Postby techtoys » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:05 am

I'm working on a similar system at the moment too. Sensors are Adafruit Contact-less Infrared Thermopile Sensor Breakout (TMP007). The device that polls them will probably be a 4Duino because of its built-in display. The trickiest part will probably be working out the CAN-bus messages to send from the 4Duino to the AIMsport datalogger system on the target vehicle.

We want the tyre temperature data to be integrated with lateral G-forces, track position, speed, steering angle, and suspension position. Otherwise it is of only limited use.

From experience with my own car, tyre temperature measurement after the cooling-down lap at the end of a race is meaningless.
User avatar
techtoys
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:36 am

Re: Tyre temp monitors

Postby Talkiet » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:29 am

techtoys wrote:I'm working on a similar system at the moment too. Sensors are Adafruit Contact-less Infrared Thermopile Sensor Breakout (TMP007). The device that polls them will probably be a 4Duino because of its built-in display. The trickiest part will probably be working out the CAN-bus messages to send from the 4Duino to the AIMsport datalogger system on the target vehicle.

We want the tyre temperature data to be integrated with lateral G-forces, track position, speed, steering angle, and suspension position. Otherwise it is of only limited use.

From experience with my own car, tyre temperature measurement after the cooling-down lap at the end of a race is meaningless.


Cool, this is very close to what I am doing - except I am not looking to integrate into a legit datalogger. I'll probably include a GPS module on my build and log with time and location stamps and then process on a PC afterwards or parse into something that racerender can use. Good point about the other inputs being needed - some of that can be derived from GPS but with a suitable i2c multiplexor solution we should be able to grab as much as we want.

Cheers - N
Talkiet
Paid Member
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Next

Return to General Tech

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest