Heavyseven's :Mcgregor

Use this forum to openly discuss anything you would like regarding project cars in the above section.

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post
* Information

Forum Rules. EVERYONE MUST READ BEFORE VIEWING OR POSTING

Postby KiwiBirkin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:10 pm
Poject Discussion Forum Rules
This is a new section of where you guys can discuss other users cars. There are just a few rules that need to be followed for this forum to stay nice, clean and easy to use:

1. ONE thread per car. Search the forum for an existing thread before starting your own, things stay tidy that way.
2. Try and stay on topic if you can.
3. Thread titles must be in this format: Username's and the car project

I have created this section so it keeps the build diarys clean and allows the builder of the car to keep us updated a bit like a BLOG so please use this section to disscuss the builders cars and we should see a much easier forum to navigate.

Re: Heavyseven's :Mcgregor

Postby heavyseven » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:03 am

It would be a very wide bulge, as the top of the motor is close to level for the full width. The plenum is just the closest bit by a smidge.
This looks like an overkill scavenge pump, for not unreasonable dollars...
http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Exa-Pump/Exa-Pump.html

If I did the dry sump thing, the bellhousing/crank cover trailing edge would become the lowest point.
I think quite a bit could be deliberately ground off there before anything would be compromised. Preferably by power tools and not the road surface...
I might jot some plans up, and see where I could fit an oil tank... I presume 5 liters would be toward the minimum volume one might dare to use?
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby nz_climber » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:07 am

Yes 45mm is very low and probably even lower once you jump in.

I have a dry sump in mine, lowest point like you said is the bellhousing. I had the bottom removed from mine and a flat plate welded in (gained about 25mm). I have sump guard which extends from the front pulley all the way back under the gearbox so when it does hit it will slide over instead of trying to rip the gearbox from the engine.. (Also protects the external oil pump belt from objects on the road getting thrown up) It was made from a bit of left over corrugated 2mm steel from a trailer deck, seems to work well and the corrugations give it heaps of strength (has had a few good hits) Currently I have about 70-75mm under the sump guard.

If you are running out of shock travel you can buy 1inch shock extensions from GAZ for real cheap to bump up the height without loosing droop. Just need to check the alignment after.
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby heavyseven » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 pm

I used to have the wrong shocks fitted to my front, they were 1" longer and caused considerable bump steer. The car was designed around the specific length it is wearing, so that's not really an option.
I'm glad to hear someone has already tried shaving a bellhousing, makes me more confident to get in there with something and shave it back :) should be easy to drill and tap a few spots to install a cover plate.

I've also been thinking about a pair of bash rails, either side of the protrusions but not right under them.
There would be a few bridges between the rails made from thick tube. These are for striking narrow enough objects that would otherwise pass between the rails and hit stuff.
Would have the added benefit of not interfering with oil changes, and not reducing clearance much further while still adding considerable protection.

I suspect I might go all of these directions, but we will see what my accountant says :P
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby nz_climber » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:35 pm

I haven't noticed any issues with mine with bump steer, but mine is a bit of a mix between an older chassis and shocks with new wishbones although I think my shocks were probably shorter than yours to start with as at a normal ride height I only had about 10mm droop so added the extra length just to get some more droop not to increase the height.

Pretty sure all the shock spanners are pretty much the same, think I got mine from Patrick when he got a bunch laser cut.

That was my initial plan for a set of bash rails, but I used what was around at the time to get on the road. Might still go back to that as that would gain me an extra 15-20mm that my sump guard takes. Mine doesn't interfer with oil changes though because I drain from the drysump tank and filter is remote mount just behind the nose cone.

As for dry sump systems, mine has about 7 litres. About 6.5 in the tank with about 120mm from the oil level to the top of the tank (important not to fill it completely up) and have to make sure you check the oil level within about 30min of running the car to see the true level because some of it drains back into the engine.

Never seen electric scavange pumps before but if it works why not - much cheaper than a pace pump!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby Birdman 7 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi Lachlan,

Ladybird 7's ground clearance is only 55mm from terra firma to bottom of bash plate. We lost about 10mm when it went on. I suspect we now have about 10mm of sag from the springs as last time I measured it I thought I had about 65mm clearance. Whilst the bash plate cuts the ground clearance it certainly makes me feel much better about driving around Chch. I find that I usually hit the ground when the suspension loads up in a dip or similar. Rarely do I have a problem with the bell housing apart from on some very aggressive speed bumps when I am normally going so slowly that I gently grind over them.

We covered about 800km two weekends ago down to Tekapo and all around South Canterbury and didn't strike the ground once, which admittedly is unusual.

I am about to do an oil change and will need to unbolt it but this is a small price to pay for the peace of mind it provides.

By the way the highest point on my SR20 is the oil filler cap. I had to shave off one side of it as it was touching the underside of the bonnet. Now the bonnet rests on, or at least touches, the ignition leads! I do keep an eye on wear on these, as one day I expect there to an earthing problem at which point one or more cylinders might just stop firing :lol:
Birdman 7
Paid Member

Postby heavyseven » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:04 pm

I took the car (and a chunk of ali stock) to work today, and fabricated a crude spanner.
A few turns produced another 20mm of ground clearance without any (as yet) observable negative effects.
My lower A arms are now slightly drooped, maybe a degree or two.

I think my engine may be on a slightly different lean to Ladybird... I had a good look at the underside of the bonnet, and I can see the following:
mark where plenum rubs.
mark where throttle cable support rubs.
mark where ignition leads rub.
mark where distributor cap rubs.

The only one of these that isn't essentially flat thing vs flat thing is the throttle cable support, and I could probably grind a bit more off that :)
At times like these I'm glad I didn't go with the v6!

I don't think I have any good places to put an oil tank, which makes dry sumping look a little difficult... Perhaps if I get a smaller battery, as mine is huge.
A mostly wide tank with a smaller deep section might be possible then. Especially if I didn't stick with a cylindrical tank. Though then I wouldn't get swirling...
Do I want swirling?

I'm leaning towards the bash plate/rail options as a suitable and easy to implement option for the near future.
I still have to work out my dicky ignition switch, weather protection and general cosmetic finishing, so I should avoid the more drawn out distractions.
I think the switch is the worst part right now though, There is a gap between run and start, right where the spring returns the key to.
I have to crank it then turn the key back when it fires in order for it to run. It's rather tricky...
Guess I'll have to hunt down a replacement, as I want to keep the steering lock assembly.
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby heavyseven » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:34 pm

In my usual tradition, I haven't done anything to the car since my last visit.
I have however been driving it about a little more, and it did it's 1234th Kilometre a few weeks ago which was mildly satisfying.

To pass the time I have been doing things like buying fire extinguishers with metal mounting brackets, and looking at crash helmets...
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby heavyseven » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 am

Some updates on the project.

Bought a spare engine and gearbox some time ago, seemed like the right thing to do for the price...
Whipped up a wind deflector with the bandsaw at work. The friendly chaps at Albert Jagger rolled the shape into it for me.
Took the car out of town on my birthday for it's longest drive to date and collected many insects on all forward facing surfaces (including helmets)
Built a new alternator bracket mount for the engine side of the adjuster, so no more squeaks.
Took the car to a party out of town where it spent its first night outdoors.
and after all that, took a diagram of my proposed bash plate down to Albert Jagger and had them whip it up out of stainless.

The bash plate is an open structure with rails along the sides, and a sloped face at the front. It extends rearward to provide protection to the low edge on the bellhousing. Things could still roll under the plate and dent the underside of the sump, but that doesn't match the damage I've experienced so far. I've opted for the open underside to make oil changes as easy as they ever were, and to reduce ground clearance lost to the plate thickness. The whole unit is only 5mm lower than the old ground clearance. I might get some skids added to the bottom of the side rails, but I'll see how the wear is going before I do.

http://imgur.com/a/Jx5K7
heavyseven
Paid Member

Previous

Return to Build Diaries Discussion