Aarons Mcgregor Mach 7

Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Re: Aarons Mcgregor Mach 7

Postby nz_climber » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks, will keep an eye on it and might throw the old one in the boot just in case (for at least the first long trip)
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby nz_climber » Tue May 02, 2017 3:05 pm

Well its been a long time since I did an update on here!

About Christmas time I decided I should replace the gasket between the surge tank and the main fuel tank as it leaked badly (but only when the tank was full) anyway that went reasonably well except I broke the fuel sensor arm off where it attaches, so that brought forward the fitting of the tube sensor I had waiting to fit at another time, not really the job I wanted before a big trip as it involved drilling holes in the tank.

But in the end everything got sorted and Katrina and I headed off around the North Island with my parents. I have to say it was one of the worst summers to be travelling in car with no roof! We got pretty wet some days but some awesome days too! We did over 2200km and my dad did over 3400km by the time he got back to Christchuch. The car worked well, but due to the fuel sensor change I didn't have a working fuel gauge so just kept an eye on the trip meter and what my dad was using (we were usually within 1 litre of each other at each fill. Also played it pretty safe and filled up often.

The other issue we had was I changed to softer springs in the rear before the trip because longer stiffer springs I had before were rubbing on the shock causing a horrible noise and damage to the shock. This was a mistake as over the rough roads there would be massive jolt through the rear, turned out the springs where coil binding before reaching the bump stops.

Anyway my dad wrote a story about that trip so will post that up at some stage along with some photos.

On the return home I stripped the interior of the car to dry it out. Drilled some new holes in the floor, Also gave it a bit of a paint job and coated a lot of stuff in corrosion inhibitor (CPC) to protect it in the future. Also changed the rear springs back but with a some tough plastic sheet between the shock and the spring to protect it (good news that works!)

Next in the list of events was the Fraser Car Club Taupo Trackday. The day at the track was awesome, great weather, great people and I knocked 2.8 sec off my personal best with the new AD08R tyres! On the last run I started to get a bit of fuel surge, but didn't think anything of it as the car had been running hard in 2 groups all day (and still don't have a working fuel gauge). Filled up with petrol on the way back the motel and everything seemed good.

On the way home the car when fine until we reached the summit of the Desert Road in misty showers, when the car spluttered to a halt, then made it about another km before dying again. Lucky a member of the Fraser Car Club spotted us and pulled over. After a bit of discussion our car got home on his trailer and his son drove his Fraser home to Wellington. Very thankful we have such an awesome community surrounding these little cars!

Once home the cause of the fault was soon found. There was many tiny bits of rubber blocking the low pressure filter. So I opened the tank and found many big bits of rubber in the tank from the gasket I had installed only about 3 months earlier, it had completely perished (but it was brought as fuel safe nitrile rubber a few years ago). So since then I have been busy,

Drained and cleaned the tank
New low pressure fuel line
New low & high pressure filters
New low & high pressure pumps (a precaution because they had run dry and the high pressure pump and filter were from the wrecker originally so no idea of km or condition)
New paper gasket (fuel safe)
New tank pickup (hardline) with an intake screen

Once the car was back together I primed the fuel system ready for a drive, but then noticed a fine fuel mist and puddle forming on the ground from the high pressure fuel line (stainless braided line) so pulled the car apart again to get to out the fuel line that runs from the pump to the engine (2.5meters). Turns out I must have installed a few of the P clamps at the very first stages of the build and built the rest of the car around them. Have since replaced that fuel line with Speedflow Stainless braided PTFE lined hose.

Will find out tomorrow if that is all good and leak free

Some photos to come...
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby flewy » Sat May 06, 2017 4:39 am

We had a failure of a rubber fuel gasket also early on also, it was one around the sensor. It was sold to us as being rated to handle petrol......I was alerted to the failure by leaks, so didn't get as far as the filters....replaced it with a piece of cork, never leaked again....but as you know we do have other leaks around that fuel tank, but that is another story.

PS....I'm glad John and Ben helped you out, but am secretly hoping they had a little giggle.....

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7
flewy
Paid Member

Postby nz_climber » Tue May 09, 2017 8:05 pm

I am sure they are still laughing about it now. Car is all fixed now and back on the road so that is good news
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby nz_climber » Tue May 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Some photos

Interior all painted (a nice change from bare alloy)

Some of the many bits of rubber that blocked the filter

The gasket that caused the trouble, and all the rubber in the tank

New pick up with screen to stop something similar happening in the future
nz_climber
Paid Member

Previous

Return to Members Rides