Lachlan Findlay's Mcgregor sr7

Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Re: Lachlan Findlay's Mcgregor sr7

Postby Mauntinbyka » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks. I have a live axle so no handy framing at the back. I didn't think of floor mounting the side points. That could be an option. The interesting thing with a new car is what you decide for a colour/scheme. I guess you post some pictures when you're done. Terry
Mauntinbyka

Postby heavyseven » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:54 pm

720 Km of driving on the weekend, and only one part fell off, Not bad lol.
The passenger side mirror glass made a run for it right at the end of the trip.
I've found the same mirrors on Ali express (not surprising really) and hope they will turn up in time for my next significant outing. Don't suppose someone has one for reasonable money somewhere closer to home?

Extra padding I added to the seats paid for itself in full, as did the side screens. Removing the bottom of the screens makes a huge difference on a properly hot day.

Also just learned you can put a lower case "L" at the end of imgur file links to get a smaller image.
https://i.imgur.com/OrTaCdNl.jpg for image above vs
https://i.imgur.com/OrTaCdN.jpg for full size (usually doesn't fit on screen)
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby bzrse7en » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:16 pm

I had those type mirrors on a previous car, one glass fell out the day before compliance. So not well glued in. Novus cut a new glass while I waited.
bzrse7en

Postby heavyseven » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 pm

bzrse7en wrote:I had those type mirrors on a previous car, one glass fell out the day before compliance. So not well glued in. Novus cut a new glass while I waited.

I'd never considered getting a new one locally... I might call them and see what the going price is now.
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby heavyseven » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:37 am

Turns out Smith and Smith only do flat mirror glass, for about $70. It would be like looking backwards through a keyhole. I'll just wait for the real stuff, or mock up a temporary one out of silvered plastic that I can dish out a bit.
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby heavyseven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Got a good test of the roof done last week.
Just a teeny bit of water in the drivers footwell, which might have been brought in on feet...
Not bad for a full day in pouring rain.

I did have to fetch the drivers side windscreen wiper from the road on one occasion though. Tightened the little spring tag until it was difficult to get back on the spline, should suffice.

heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby JohnL » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:35 pm

looks like we had the same xmass holiday :-) interested in how you have attached the front and sealed round the doors, mine blows up at 80-100kph so had to add some small side curtains (guttering)

john
MX5 powered Chevron in prep 2014
JohnL
Paid Member

Postby heavyseven » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:58 am

Here's a gallery with some details on how it seals.
https://imgur.com/a/Nz3zS
Seems like the stuff I did to the roof and screens worked right off the bat for the most part, but I've been chasing leaks around the scuttle. A dab of sealant here and there, plus a good bead of sealing material where it meets the bonnet has it sorted I think.

I hit a puddle that washed over the windscreen and blasted off that wiper arm one of the early times. I didn't get splashed myself, so I think it's pretty good. I have been warned by Bruce that water may come back after hitting the rear guards, so continuing the rubber seal up the back edge of the lower screens might be wise. The hollow adhesive strip I used there came from ali express.
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby nz_climber » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 am

Excellent work getting it so sealed, do you have a demister to keep the screen clear?

I have never bothered because of no screen or roof, I just drilled some holes in the floor and brought a rain coat!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby heavyseven » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:30 am

Ha, love the holes solution.
I've left it outside for the last 25 hours now, in significant rainfall. Driven through bug puddles and all that. Water is definitely getting in, probably 30ml confined to the drivers footwell. So just about perfectly sealed. As for the fogging, I've tried a method on YouTube. Seems shaving gel works as well as rain x.
heavyseven
Paid Member

Previous

Return to Members Rides