Seats and Seat mounts

Chassis, Brakes, Tyres, Interior, Exterior etc...

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Seats and Seat mounts

Postby Fish86 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 am

Hello

I recently purchased a Chevron which the previous owner has had since 1991 and didn't get certified or completely finish the project. I would like to work away at finishing the car and want to replace the current bench style seats with something similar to Kirkey style seats. The original bench seats were just mounted to the sheet metal which I am guessing is a big NO for certification and for myself... is not the way I want them. They also didn't really work for me in terms of comfort or seating position. The harness seems to be mounted properly to the frame. Is there any info (or experience) on making these style seats and some mounting. I have designed some Kirkey seats on CAD and am just about to design the mounts before I give a crack at making them. Thanks for any responses. Chris
Fish86

Re: Seats and Seat mounts

Postby JohnL » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:47 pm

mine was certified with bench seats 2 years ago. just saying
MX5 powered Chevron in prep 2014
JohnL
Paid Member

Postby bzrse7en » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Yea, bench seats or cushions realy, are fine for cert, as the seat structure is actually the chassis.
From experience you might strike a problem making your own seat, as certifiers like to see a seat with a reputable brand or even a standards mark, even if your design is superior. So best you chat with certifier first.
bzrse7en

Postby nz_climber » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:09 pm

You would really need to talk to your certifier to work out what he/she would be happy with if you plan on building a seat, its not impossible just might make the project take longer than it should. Easiest thing for certification would be to do a bench style seat but shape it to provide support where you need like some of the Fraser ones are.

I have Kirkey 15inch road race seats in my Mcgregor and they are a good size and fit, but doubt you would get them into a Chevron though as my Chevron was a lot smaller in the drivers area than my Mcgregor is! Mine doesn't have "mounts" it is bolted through the floor of the seat into chassis rails below the seat or a large steel doubler that runs all the way across the floor area. For the Kirkey type seats you also need to mount them to the rear bulkhead too.

If building a Kirkey Type seat make sure you study them in great detail as they have lots of little folded panels, pressed sections and a bead welded around the outside that really give them the strength you need.
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby Fish86 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:02 pm

JohnL wrote:mine was certified with bench seats 2 years ago. just saying

Are yours just fixed to the sheet metal? doesn't this seem a bit sketchy?
Fish86

Postby nz_climber » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:39 am

In my Chevron they were just Velcro'd to the floor and rear bulkhead. They are only cushions, like Patrick said they use the floor and bulkhead as the structure

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
nz_climber
Paid Member

Postby JohnL » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:59 am

mine just sit there, and the seat cushions are just on the floor. I have a 4 point harness that holds the "seats" and me to the car

one cushion across the back at shoulder level and two in each lumber area with a bit of support. I am about to recover with vinyl as I have finally got my industrial singer going :-) Previous it was just marine carpet. Check out both mine and bogus7 cars on the site

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2970&start=70
MX5 powered Chevron in prep 2014
JohnL
Paid Member

Postby DMC » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

As far as mounting fixed back race style seats I have a strips of 50x3 steel going from left to right between the chassis rails (Welded), one for the front of the seat and one for the rear. Same on the other side of the car. I then bolted the L brackets that came with the seats to the steel straps using 4 M8 bolts. Certifier was happy with this. In fact I had the seats mounted in the car when there was no floor panel attached and they seemed firmly attached.

As for making your own alloy seats it sounds like a cool project but I suspect you may need design approval for them. If I didn't already have seats I would have seriously considered kirkeys.....
DMC
Paid Member

Postby Grippa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 pm

A topic I'm really interested in ! as I am unhappy with how I sit in my fraser with the bucket style seat, the base of these just Velcro in place. The bench seats I've tried weren't any better as they weren't custom made to fit me as most now a days.ive looked into a few options and I would look into something like this https://www.racetech.co.nz/shop/foam-seat-insert-kit I'm sure you could import it A lot cheaper as well , if you could be bothered with the material supply docs and freight . As far as I'm aware there isn't much to choose from locally. You could always go down the bare carbon/glass seats but as there not local and it's a big risk of getting a seat that won't fit your driving position. And shipping items of that size is not a cheap option
Grippa

Postby Fish86 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:38 pm

all this info is great.
the stage of the car is that I just want to get it together and driveable. I still need to contact a certifier but there are several things I need to sort out before I will be happy to start the process. Although phoning a few, it seems like there is quite the wait in Auckland.

I designed some seats. I have made a couple dimple dies for the sheet metal to give it some extra stiffness (similar to the kirkey). I am using similar thickness sheet aluminium as the kirkey. I am going to make a half-scale version of the seat to work out assembly and make sure I have considered everything (this is mainly just my own quirk as I could go right to full size but it is much less material to waste if I decide I don't like it). Waterjet the aluminium yesterday. hopefully will get on the rest this week.

I will probably make a seat just for now (more just for personal experience) and if I can't use it for the certified version of the car, then so be it. Want to get the rough seating position so I can get the steering re-positioned.

Do any of you guys live in Auckland? would be keen to see some peoples cars
Fish86

Next

Return to Chassis & Running Gear