Seats and Seat mounts

Chassis, Brakes, Tyres, Interior, Exterior etc...

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Re: Seats and Seat mounts

Postby 7ish » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:29 pm

You could always leave the bench seat as is for cert, then fit your preferred seats later...
7ish
7ish
Paid Member

Postby Fish86 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:04 am

7ish wrote:You could always leave the bench seat as is for cert, then fit your preferred seats later...

That is a great idea. Best of both worlds. Thanks
Fish86

Postby Not-a-Number » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Mines the same. I have a bench seat and nothing is bolted down at all and was certed fine. Its not like they are going to fall out when youre strapped in with a 4 point harness. Youll need headrests though (which will fall off on the way home after cert) :lol: Well mine did anyway. The potscrubs also fell out of the muffler. :lol:
Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Postby steveb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:53 am

Getting seats to fitt into a locost chassis seems almost impossible, i looked at fitting go kart seats then adding a head rest to the roll bar like "Pete's Leitch".
Even the go kart seat was too wide to fitt without cutting.
So the answer i was looking at was similar to F1, you basically get a bean bag, mix in some glue, place it in the chassis, sit in it, wiggle about until your are snug and comfortable and wait for the glue to set, then you pull the "buck" you have made and go about making a mold. I was thinking of using 2 or 3 smaller bags, may be easier and makining a 3mm mdf insert cut to resemble a seat with seat belt/harness cutouts etc, placing it in the narrow chassis, attaching the bags into postion with double side tape, the sitting in it. might be a idea to wear several bulky layers of clothing for clearance.
steveb

Postby Fish86 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:46 am

steveb wrote:Getting seats to fitt into a locost chassis seems almost impossible, i looked at fitting go kart seats then adding a head rest to the roll bar like "Pete's Leitch".
Even the go kart seat was too wide to fitt without cutting.
So the answer i was looking at was similar to F1, you basically get a bean bag, mix in some glue, place it in the chassis, sit in it, wiggle about until your are snug and comfortable and wait for the glue to set, then you pull the "buck" you have made and go about making a mold. I was thinking of using 2 or 3 smaller bags, may be easier and makining a 3mm mdf insert cut to resemble a seat with seat belt/harness cutouts etc, placing it in the narrow chassis, attaching the bags into postion with double side tape, the sitting in it. might be a idea to wear several bulky layers of clothing for clearance.

That's why I wanted to make my own seats as some of these small seats are quite expensive and then they still have to be chopped to fit plus they may not even be comfortable. Like I said, rev1 will be my attempt at a seat. Good ideas on keeping the bench seat for cert purposes just in case.
Fish86

Postby heavyseven » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 am

I've found that a lot of the issue fitting seats into locost style cars (anything with a framed transmission tunnel) is losing vital width to fit your hips in. When designing your seat, I say try and make the bottom part a bit bench like (virtually no side support) and only have side support further up. I've got standard Mcgregor seats, and find they are pretty good for this. My only gripe is they would probably be better with a sharp angled base/back join instead of a curve, as the curve sort of pushes you forward. Now that I'm having success with my sewing machine and vinyl, I might re-visit them once I've got the rest of the car done.
heavyseven
Paid Member

Postby JohnL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 pm

just recovered my carpet and foam bench seats, very simple to do
https://imgur.com/TTtUOjD
MX5 powered Chevron in prep 2014
JohnL
Paid Member

Postby Fish86 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:23 pm

JohnL wrote:just recovered my carpet and foam bench seats, very simple to do
https://imgur.com/TTtUOjD

Thanks John, will consider that as well.
Fish86

Previous

Return to Chassis & Running Gear