Universal joints

Chassis, Brakes, Tyres, Interior, Exterior etc...

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Universal joints

Postby lynxchch » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:34 pm

I am wondering if someone can help me. I am replacing the universal joints on the axle of the Triumph Herald that is the base for my lynx. I got a new set of universal joints from a place that sold Triumph spares. On initial inspection the new ones look the same, but when I started installing them, there are some differences in some sizes.
The center of the old joint is 25.76mm
The same measurement in the new one is 28mm
The total width of the old is 61mm
The new one is 61.82
So when it is installed with the clips, the edges of the seal stick out a little and it does not turn freely.
Does anyone know a good place I can take this to next week who knows about universal joints? it doesnt seem right to me.

Thanks, Ivan
lynxchch

Re: Universal joints

Postby bzrse7en » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:11 am

How about Circletrack engineering?
They specialize in drive shafts.
It seems like you could have the wrong UJ kit, how about googling the part number to see if it matches up.
Sometimes UJs are a little tight until seated properly, can you install the circlips? If you can, then it is probably just requiring seating, put the Horizontal yoke on top of vice, and strike the top, this will push the cup back onto the circlip.

Patrick
bzrse7en

Postby lynxchch » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks, Patrick,
I checked, and its definitely the correct part number. The circlips are in, and the cups are seated firmly against them. But the edges of the seal are still opening up. I had a look on a Triumph spitfire forum, and someone had a similar issue with the same brand of UJ's His solution was to grind the back of the cup down till it fits! Not my kind of solution! Ill try Circletrack engineering, see what they have to say.
lynxchch

Postby lynxchch » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:47 am

Been to Circle Track Engineering. Very helpful service. Thanks for the recommendation. He said this sometimes happens with aftermarket UJ's, that the edge of the seal opens a little. He said the outside edge like this is nothing to worry about.
lynxchch

Return to Chassis & Running Gear