Front Trunnions

Chassis, Brakes, Tyres, Interior, Exterior etc...

Moderators: SimJen, KiwiBirkin

Front Trunnions

Postby lynxchch » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:19 pm

As mentioned in my build diary, my lynx is on a Triumph chassis.I have been reading online about the vertical link failing.Is there anyone on here who has had experience with this type of trunnion/ vertical link setup? Be interested to know your thoughts. My thoughts are I have 3 options.
1), use existing vertical link and replace trunnion. Not ideal as vertical link has obvious wear and rust pitting.
2) Replace vertical link and trunnion with same new components
3) Replace with Canley classics Trunnionless vertical link at a cost, but what price do you put on safety? (and the exchange rate is more favorable since Friday! )

Be interested in thoughts.
lynxchch

Re: Front Trunnions

Postby Gollum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:08 am

From those options, replace with new standard units. They only fail through age and abuse. New ones will outlast you unless you start bouncing off kerbs and that'll break most things. They were designed for a sedan after all. Tunnionless is gilding the lily unless you're building a racer. My 2p.
Gollum

Postby bzrse7en » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:47 pm

As above, they can handle a heavy six cylinder Vitesse or GT6 front end, so should be fine. Many sports cars used them including F1.
Corrosion is a problem, as is the massive steering lock combined with spinning the car. The steering goes full lock in the spin and the upright shears off.
bzrse7en

Postby Not-a-Number » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Whats the condition of the current ones? Is the thread on the upright and in the trunnion worn?

If the guts look visually ok then I would clean it all properly and get them crack tested. Get new rubber seals and fill them with grease. (i had the whole front end of my car crack tested for about $200, that included trunnions and uprights)

Trunnion failures, from what Iv read over the years, is generally due to old shitty grease and grime wearing the upright/trunnion thread down and breaking because of that or more commonly seizing and twisting off. So this is in a big heavy triumph that doesnt get serviced for 100,000miles and then when it does, the trunnions would be low on the list.

Your next question will be what grease or what oil to use. People say never use grease and others say never use oil. Basically the conclusion from the internet is that grease was shit back in the day and thats why they used 90W oil. Now days grease is good so use that (wheel bearing grease).

ps if youre going to buy new trunnions dont buy the repo ones off ebay. They are crap (i bought some). Find proper triumph ones or expensive repo one that you know a good.
Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Postby lynxchch » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks, that helps. The condition of the right hand upright is poor, the threads are worn there is rust pitting and the diameter at the top of the threaded portion is .5mm narrower than the bottom, also indicating significant wear. i haven't dismantled the left side yet, so not sure what delights await there!
lynxchch

Postby lynxchch » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Have ordered replacement parts today. With the British pound dropping it made the trunnionless version more affordable but decided to get the originals from Auckland. I get them quicker!
lynxchch

Return to Chassis & Running Gear