Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

For keeping us up dated on your building of a Clubbie/Seven replica

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
User's Projects / Build Ups Forum Rules
This section of where you guys can show off the progress you make as your build comes together of your clubman, give details of any modification progress, share pictures etc. There are just a few rules that need to be followed for this forum to stay nice, clean and easy to use:

1. ONE thread per project please. You all have access to edit your own posts, so do that. You may post as many times as you feel like it within your allocated thread.
2. Only the person who owns the thread may post in it. Any others will be deleted. If you want to ask questions, comment or start a discussion, start a thread in the Project Discussion section or use the private message function.
3. You may not use your thread for anything else apart from showing off your car and it's build process, use the other forums for this.
4. Thread titles must be include your user name and a little about the project please.

Important : As this was a exsisting forum moved to its new home all exsisting build diarys will carry on as they are but by the new rules

Cheers Stephen
Wanganui7

Re: Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

Post by Wanganui7 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:02 pm

Finished tig welding all the exhaust componts at work and trial fitted on car. With this done I was able to throw some fuel in the tank and try starting the engine for the first time. Cranks with good spark but won' t run. Fuel pump is working but the cylinders are dry. Seams to be a problem with the injectors not firing . Drop a bit of fuel down the plugs and it fires into life. Having a bit of trouble working out the wiring on the circut opening relay. I have the wiring diagram for the miata engine but not being a auto electrician, found it a bit hard to get my head around. Otherwise making good progress.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:23 pm

If the fuel pump is running when cranking then the circuit opening relay should be ok, my thoughts would be the built in Mazda immobiliser?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Found the problem with the circuit opening relay. ( operates fuel pump) Needs to be a relay with two coils. One opened by the ignition switch and the other by the air flow meter. Picked up one off Trademe for $30. They are normally $150 new. Expensive relay! So finally got fuel flow into the cylinders. Also fitted an after market regulator with guage so I can check on fuel pressure as am using an out of tank fuel pump. I then noticed some fuel leaking around the injectors. Removed them and found the rubber seals were rock hard and were loose. Brought some on trademe, $2.50 each , cured the problem! At the same time gave the injectors a clean with carb cleaner, as per a video on You Tube. After all that the engine would fire but not keep running. Oh crap! Nothing to do but go over the wiring again, check the coil and hope it was'nt a computer problem. I then found a loose earth wire on the cam sensor. Those crimped on fittings rearly arn't that great and I plan to go over all mine and solder the wires on. Now I have a engine that starts and runs, woohoo!

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Yesterday wrapped a board around the right side of the chassis and marked the dimensions for the outer panel. Hope to fold it this weekend. Also changed my mind about the vinyl I had covered the consol with. Removed it and recovered with the carbon fiber vinyl many use. A big improvement. Picked up some carbon looking mirrors from Trade-me to be mounted later. Needed to turn the car around in the garage to get more room and with the engine now running drove out, backed up and back in again. Careful that I only had a handbrake as the front brakes arnt hooked up yet.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Went into work this morning, cut, drilled and folded the second side., Took it home and tried on the chassis. Fits well so im pre drilling all the rivit holes in the chassis for both sides and will get them powder coated next week.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Picked up my side panels today from the powder coaters. Almost a dayglow orange. Guards and scuttle will be white, which I'll probally spray myself , to break up the shockingly bright color.