Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

For keeping us up dated on your building of a Clubbie/Seven replica

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
User's Projects / Build Ups Forum Rules
This section of where you guys can show off the progress you make as your build comes together of your clubman, give details of any modification progress, share pictures etc. There are just a few rules that need to be followed for this forum to stay nice, clean and easy to use:

1. ONE thread per project please. You all have access to edit your own posts, so do that. You may post as many times as you feel like it within your allocated thread.
2. Only the person who owns the thread may post in it. Any others will be deleted. If you want to ask questions, comment or start a discussion, start a thread in the Project Discussion section or use the private message function.
3. You may not use your thread for anything else apart from showing off your car and it's build process, use the other forums for this.
4. Thread titles must be include your user name and a little about the project please.

Important : As this was a exsisting forum moved to its new home all exsisting build diarys will carry on as they are but by the new rules

Cheers Stephen
Wanganui7

Re: Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

Post by Wanganui7 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Had the option today of working on my car or going to Manfield to watch the Surgery Sprints. Weather looks very iffy so stayed home and fitted front guards.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:08 pm

Got the bonnet, scuttle and some trim pieces back from the powder coaters on Friday and have been fitting to the car. The louvred vents are abs plastic ones off ebay. You can get them in actual carbon fibre for three times the cost.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Had a go today at bending the window frame using 19x19x2.5 channel. Cut a template using 16 mm custom wood , put through a thicknesser and reduced down to 14mm. Welded up handle with a couple of bearings as a roller. First annealed the bend area with a small propane torch, having a bigger torch would have made the job a lot easier. The first attempt was a disaster with the flanges buckling. Second attempt heated the alloy much more. Only bent 10mm at a time , moving a clamp behind the roller to stop buckling. A little tidying up with a hammer and sander should be good enough to powder coat black.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Took the car for a blat down the road last weekend. It appeared to be searching for fuel under hard acceleration, although the tank was 3/4 full. So I decided to move the pump to below the bottom of the tank. And the outlet from the top to the bottom left corner. Now the fuel fills the pump under gravity instead of having to suck.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Am waiting on some fuel fittings from Hong Kong. $4 instead of $26 each here.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:20 am

Finished remounting the fuel pump to below the tank and it's made a huge difference. Runs smoothly now under hard acceleration. Also finished the window frame and will order glass next week.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Spraying the white stripe down the engine cover today.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:18 pm

Picked up the 6.7 mm laminated windscreen glass on Friday and have now installed in the frame. I had two quotes from the local companies. One for $187 and another for over $430 ! Am also swapping out the standard MX5 rear shocks from my donor car for some Gaz adjustables.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:53 pm

I have the certifier coming around home next weekend for the second check so have been pushing ahead to get things finished. Am hoping to get certed for summer but with everything closing down for Xmas, don't know if I'll make it. Today fitted the seats and belts and only have the wipers to get done. Took it for a squirt down the street and can't wait to be able to go for a long drive. Even after getting it on the road there will be plenty to carry on with. Side windows, roof and rear cover. Am planning to sew myself to save money.

JohnL
Paid Member

Post by JohnL » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 am

cool I sewed my roof and side screens came out ok but make sure you use the proper soft top vinyl as just heavy vinyl wont quite be right, as its what I used doht.
MX5 powered Chevron in prep 2014