Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

For keeping us up dated on your building of a Clubbie/Seven replica

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
User's Projects / Build Ups Forum Rules
This section of where you guys can show off the progress you make as your build comes together of your clubman, give details of any modification progress, share pictures etc. There are just a few rules that need to be followed for this forum to stay nice, clean and easy to use:

1. ONE thread per project please. You all have access to edit your own posts, so do that. You may post as many times as you feel like it within your allocated thread.
2. Only the person who owns the thread may post in it. Any others will be deleted. If you want to ask questions, comment or start a discussion, start a thread in the Project Discussion section or use the private message function.
3. You may not use your thread for anything else apart from showing off your car and it's build process, use the other forums for this.
4. Thread titles must be include your user name and a little about the project please.

Important : As this was a exsisting forum moved to its new home all exsisting build diarys will carry on as they are but by the new rules

Cheers Stephen
Wanganui7

Re: Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

Post by Wanganui7 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 pm

Got the wipers fitted. Not totally happy with them. Need to get some proper bezels for the spindles but they will do for now. Dropped the car in at Rivers Speed and Spares here in Wanganui to do the cert. Said they will get another set eyes from Palmy for an extra check and to speed things along. Should hear back before the weekend on how I've done. Fingers crossed.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:03 pm

Cars back home and in bits again after the cert report. Have a list of 17 things to fix. Mostly small things that will be done by next week. Move rear reflectors to edge of guards. Move front indicators further forward. Put a tint strip across top of window. They found the cheap ( off Trade-me ) steering wheel release had too much slop and is a cast item not machined from alloy billet. So I binned that and just screwed the wheel to the boss for now. The main problem will be the bump steer. When setting this up I contacted the LVVTA to ask what maximum allowable was. They told me there is no fixed rule, just try to get it as close to zero as you can get. I ended up with 3.1degrees total top to bottom. 1.7 degrees on the droop, 1.4 degrees on bump But now are being told it HAS to be 0. Certifier told me he had rung the LVVTA and that's what they told him. I wish they would be consistent with their answers to questions.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:45 pm

Contacted LVVTA myself about bumpsteer and was told they look at other 7's that have submitted over the years and would expect the reading to be between 0-5 mm movement. But there is no blanket acceptable reading for all cars. A 7 might be different from a Saker, which could be different from a Cobra. So I will have to look at mine to reduce it a bit
Last edited by Wanganui7 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:39 pm

Spent a couple of days trying different positions for the steering rack and taking measurements for bumpsteer. It soon became clear that it needed moving forward and downwards. Went as far as I could while still having clearance between tie rod and lower arms on full bump and lock. Got down to 3-4 mm movement throughout the whole travel. So is 0.3 degrees, inside the allowable 0.5 degrees. So am a happy chappy , but it did mean getting some new tie rod extensions made, 15 mm longer. Next job is to take to testing station and get a vin number attached, followed by a wheel alignment.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:52 pm

I'm currently working on the window wipers trying to improve them. I started out with some 1958 v-dub spindles given to me for free , but bolted through the thin alloy scuttle cover their not very satisfactory. So I picked up some heavier duty , all stainless, second hand marine ones for $40. And have made a stainless mounting frame to fit under the scuttle to hold everything secure.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:59 pm

Had the certifier drop around home to do a check on the bumpsteer before going back to his workshop in a couple of weeks for the final check. Ended up with only 2 mm movement. So have been making a hard cover for over the diff from alloy. Has little hatch to access fuel tank and will incorporate a toolbox to store the jack, tools and tyre pump. Will powder coat everything orange to match the car.

JohnL
Paid Member

Post by JohnL » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am

on mine I just used a mini wiper system, very easy
MX5 powered Chevron in prep 2014

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:33 am

Took a break from the car this weekend to meet up with my brother at the t-car club rally at Ohakune. They were doing various activities around the mountain district over four days. Got to take my brother's t-car for a drive. Handles much like a 7, has NA Mx5 front and rear subframes with 1600 engine.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Cars been in workshop for final cert. Had wheel alignment done,. Weighed to get the tare weight at the local truck depot. Was 680 kg with 3/4 full fuel tank. Then to get a wof. Showed the handbrake needed adjusting, headlights needed adjusting and there is a large difference between front and rear brakes. It's all mx5 components except for a brake bias valve. Although it was full open still seamed to cause a reduction to rear brakes. So I removed it and now is looking good. Glad I kept the brake booster, makes braking effortless unlike my old Sylva Striker.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Having finished the LVVTA cert process it was off to the testing station for WOF and registration. The night before went for a little squirt around the neighborhood to make sure everything was ok only to notice a leak of coolent when I got back. Came from the thermostat. I'd put in a new gasket but it had turned to mush. Replaced it with silicon and next morning was set enough to drive the car. So by lunchtime car is now warranted and registered. Nice evening tonight so it's off for a cruise in the countryside. Looked up my first picture off my build to see I started February 2016. So only 4 years to get on the road. Wife always said I took a long time to do things :)