Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

For keeping us up dated on your building of a Clubbie/Seven replica

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
User's Projects / Build Ups Forum Rules
This section of where you guys can show off the progress you make as your build comes together of your clubman, give details of any modification progress, share pictures etc. There are just a few rules that need to be followed for this forum to stay nice, clean and easy to use:

1. ONE thread per project please. You all have access to edit your own posts, so do that. You may post as many times as you feel like it within your allocated thread.
2. Only the person who owns the thread may post in it. Any others will be deleted. If you want to ask questions, comment or start a discussion, start a thread in the Project Discussion section or use the private message function.
3. You may not use your thread for anything else apart from showing off your car and it's build process, use the other forums for this.
4. Thread titles must be include your user name and a little about the project please.

Important : As this was a exsisting forum moved to its new home all exsisting build diarys will carry on as they are but by the new rules

Cheers Stephen
Wanganui7

Re: Wanganui, Mcsorely 442E / MX5

Post by Wanganui7 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:47 pm

In the evening after work packed the wife into the passenger seat and we set for a first run. Headed north out of Wanganui for about 20 km, not going to far incase we suffered some problems. But car ran faultlessly. Great around corners but with a soft ride. Incredible braking. I had set the engine timing advance to 10 degrees as recommended on the mx5 race forums. The power is very docile up to 4000 revs then comes on strong. Am thrilled with the overall car, better than my old Striker in every respect. Still lots to add to it in the coming months , but so happy to finally have it road legal.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 pm

After first run the leaking thermostat gasket came back to haunt me. Fitted a new one for the second drive and this time no problems. Had no co-pilot this time so was able to push it a lot harder . I'm going to get my wife to film it when I can get to Manfield. Have a look how it sits through the corners and if it would benefit from a front anti roll bar, as I've already fitted the mounting points for one.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Having a problem with clutch today. Pedal going to the floor but resorvoir is full and no leaks. Clutch operation has always been good , so this is sudden failure. Will take out of car and check. There's a bit of talk on the net of slave cylinders failing.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:41 pm

Replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders and have cured the problem. Although the car is now on the road, the build goes on. I have folded up a tool box to fit over the diff. Large enough to store the jack, handle, pump and a few tools. Also have purchased a few chrome fittings for the roof frame.

Wanganui7

Post by Wanganui7 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:08 pm

The four week lockdown has given me time to work on the rear cover. Just need the corners welding, when I can get back to work, and powder coating. Dog didn't approve of the boot space ,but it's all I could manage. Matbe I could get him a pair of goggles. Am also moving the inside rear view mirror down nearer the dash and might reposition the outside mirrors a bit higher.