Final advice for hiring a car to blat around the Nurburgring

Discuss any thing else here.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Re: Final advice for hiring a car to blat around the Nurburg

Post by Birdman 7 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Yep I can confirm Ian's recommendation and attest to the Ferrari Museum being well worth it. Even Ladybird enjoyed herself along with the other wives in our three couple group. And yes Monza is well worth the visit too. Take the time to look in the old town as well as the track. On the day we were there (a Saturday) there was A1GP racing on. I did not pay the Euro10 entry fee (pretty cheap I thought) as we only had about an hour before we had to return our car and head to the airport for the trip home, but we could see the cars in the distance through the fence and we could certainly hear them!

As Aaron says the lakes are fantastic, but the scenic roads are littered with bloody cyclists and the average speed achieved will be in the vicinity of 20-30kph. In fact we loved northern Italy, and haven't even got to Turin yet. Next trip is to Bra for the Slow Food Cheese Festival.

As regards the train, our friends who we met up with in La Spezia were travelling by train. Their trip from Milan to Munich on a fast train took them about six hours, actually the same time it took us to drive down from Munich to La Spezia. The Nurburgring is well north of Munich but perhaps there is a more direct train, but like you I would much rather drive and have the ability to stop and see whatever sight took my fancy.

Have a great trip. Show us the photos and brag when you are able.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:55 am

Thread dredge.

Did you end up hiring a car at the Nurburgring?

Any thoughts/comments?

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:57 am

Hmmmmm. I really thought I had posted a followup to this trip but apparently not. It was over a year ago now but I can still remember bits of it :-)

Real short version - feel free to ask questions :-)

Went to Italy, rented something boring and shot a Junior WOrlds Ultimate Frisbee Tournament.

Rented a Fiat 500 Abarth in Milan (a nice one, 595 something - leather.. LOVELY)

It ended up having Aircon - not climate air, but aircon nonetheless. Phew!

Drove it to Modena and went to see the Ferrari Museum.

http://www.nzsnaps.com/Cars/Ferrari-Museum/

Then I almost managed to leave Modena without hiring a 458 to drive to to Modena Circuit, blat around for a while and then drive back.

Almost, but not quite :-)

That was FUN except for the ridiculous braking points the babysitter wanted me to use. However at the end of only 4 laps the brakes were toast... It was 15 minutes before they had recovered well enough to use on the road for the trip back! This 458 had done I think 130000k... Must be one of the most heavily used ones ever. The experience cost 850 Euros. Worth it.

Then drove through Switzerland, accidentally taking the most awesome road over the Alps. (Gotthard pass) and stayed at an 800 year old hotel at the very top. Amazing.

The Abarth was at home on the Autobahn. Not as many Porsches and M5s passing me at 250+ as I expected... the little Fiat managed to keep up most of the time.

Nurburgring.

I stayed in a little place in Adenau and I could see part of the track from my hotel window, which was nice. Ate lots of schnitzel and had a couple of beers, then an early night.

Spent the next day stooging around doing not much waiting for the evening session.

I went with a place called Rent4Ring (rent4ring.de)... They had Swifts and a bunch of other cars but everyone I spoke to said "Try the Swift first and upgrade later if you still feel like it".... Great advice. The track is so blind even after dozens of laps on a sim. The elevation changes are much more than you expect.

I paid for 4 laps in the swift, and paid for a co-driver for the first lap which was useful. First real corner the car did something funny, and he reached over and disabled VDC for me. That's better. The swifts were brilliantly prepared - full cage, racing seats, racing harnesses, good brakes and semislicks plus coilovers. I even managed to reserve a Right Hand Drive car!

The circuit itself is a public road during the Touristfahten (sp?) so you really don't want to crash... The closest I came was forgetting a corner and running further up on the kerb on the corner following than I intended. I didn't even see any spins or crashes. Weather was great.

When I got back after the 4 laps (You do one at a time and have to come through the pits each lap) they plugged the car into a computer and checked to make sure you haven't downshifted when you should have upshifted - they have a fines system... GO over 8000rpm and there's a 200 Euro fine, over 8400 there's a bigger fine, over 9000 there's a huge fine (I forget the numbers)

After 4 laps in the Swift 2 things were apparent... I didn't need a faster car to have all the fun in the world and I'd need dozens and dozens of real world laps before I'd even consider a faster car on that particular circuit.

The fun thing is there are enough Swifts of the same basic spec on the track most of the time that you can judge yourself against many others!

I've probably missed out heaps. Feel free to ask questions... I really thought I had written this up already but apparently not.

Cheers - N

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:48 am

Cheers Neil,

The Rent4Ring guys seem to have a good reputation and whilst the temptation to hire some a little more exotic is strong everyone agrees with your comments about you could do 100's of laps in a Swift before the car became the limiting factor.

Kind of like Gymkhana'ing in a 998 Mini!

Thanks, Tony

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:56 pm

Update

Just back from 3 weeks in Europe. Porsche Museum, Mercedes Museum, 2 x Ferrari Museums, saw a Ferrari F1 car on the track at Maranello, Outstanding free classic car show in Florence, Cousins neighbour in the UK with (in no particular order) a Cayenne GTS, Macan Turbo, Hurracan, 458 Spyder, 911 GT3, Beetle Cup Car, 911 GT3 race car and last but certainly not least a P1.

Did pretty much as Neil described at the Nurburgring. Used Rent4Ring and had a RHD Swift. Very well run organisation, maybe slightly different procedure to what Neil had. Basically do as many laps as you want and pay at the end, also they only downloaded the ECU file at their office at the end. Car was good, awesome brakes, slight crunch when shifting down to 3rd and I would say the LHS CV joint has weeks left to live vs years. Was going to hire a co-pilot, but didn't in the end. If you've done some laps in GT5 or similar it will be OK, plus the Swifts really aren't that fast. Can certainly see how you could get into trouble with something with more speed. Did 2 laps with our 14yr old in the passenger seat, then 2 laps with my wife (very surprised she wanted a go) and then a flying farewell with Mr 14yr old. Have a video that I will study the rules about how to post. Max speed around 187 in a couple of places. Definitely have to look out for fast moving traffic. Trick as advised by Richard at Rent4Ring is to get there early when most people are asleep.

Should be on people's must-do list. Two thumbs up!

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:15 am

Spyder wrote:Update

Just back from 3 weeks in Europe. Porsche Museum, Mercedes Museum, 2 x Ferrari Museums, saw a Ferrari F1 car on the track at Maranello, Outstanding free classic car show in Florence, Cousins neighbour in the UK with (in no particular order) a Cayenne GTS, Macan Turbo, Hurracan, 458 Spyder, 911 GT3, Beetle Cup Car, 911 GT3 race car and last but certainly not least a P1.

Did pretty much as Neil described at the Nurburgring. Used Rent4Ring and had a RHD Swift. Very well run organisation, maybe slightly different procedure to what Neil had. Basically do as many laps as you want and pay at the end, also they only downloaded the ECU file at their office at the end. Car was good, awesome brakes, slight crunch when shifting down to 3rd and I would say the LHS CV joint has weeks left to live vs years. Was going to hire a co-pilot, but didn't in the end. If you've done some laps in GT5 or similar it will be OK, plus the Swifts really aren't that fast. Can certainly see how you could get into trouble with something with more speed. Did 2 laps with our 14yr old in the passenger seat, then 2 laps with my wife (very surprised she wanted a go) and then a flying farewell with Mr 14yr old. Have a video that I will study the rules about how to post. Max speed around 187 in a couple of places. Definitely have to look out for fast moving traffic. Trick as advised by Richard at Rent4Ring is to get there early when most people are asleep.

Should be on people's must-do list. Two thumbs up!

Nice one. Definitely on my to do list. If you dont mind, what did it cost you to do 5laps?

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:45 am

Not-a-Number wrote:Nice one. Definitely on my to do list. If you dont mind, what did it cost you to do 5laps?
The 5 laps ended up being just under 700NZD, it is something like 170EUR for the first lap and a tank of gas and 70EUR for each extra lap. I thought that I had asked for the extra insurance (certainly was driving with the piece of mind in the back of my mind!) but it doesn't seem to have come through. That was an extra 195EUR. Had budgeted on $1k.

Spyder

Post by Spyder » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:00 pm