Radios in sheds

Discuss any thing else here.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

bzrse7en
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Rolleston Canterbury

Radios in sheds

Post by bzrse7en » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:25 pm

I have always had problems with Radios in sheds - poor reception, going off station over the course of the day etc.. there is nothing that bugs me more than the radio not quite tuned. My current radio even changes from one station to another adjacent one from one day to the next. I have a long length of wire connected to the aerial on current radio, but still the same.
Is it just that i am buying cheap radios, or is there a solution?

User avatar
heavyseven
Paid Member
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:42 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Radios in sheds

Post by heavyseven » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:56 am

Perhaps try something with a digital tuner? Or flog an old iPod/generic mp3 player?

Talkiet
Paid Member
Posts: 865
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Radios in sheds

Post by Talkiet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Radio? How quaint :-)

I listen to podcasts...

In seriousness though, you may find that your favourite radio station has an internet stream and there are heaps of ways to listen to those with no concern about tuning.

Cheers - N

User avatar
Not-a-Number
Paid Member
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Radios in sheds

Post by Not-a-Number » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:30 pm

Shed just acts like a big faraday cage. Google rules about antennas, you need to make the the wire 1/2 a wave length of whatever frequency you want. Which is something like 3m. Also horizontal is better than vertical.

Better yet get a cheap UHF aerial and put it outside.

I had the same problem but I have a computer in there now and just use internet radio. Heaps better.

bzrse7en
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Rolleston Canterbury

Re: Radios in sheds

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Talkiet wrote:Radio? How quaint :-)

I listen to podcasts...

In seriousness though, you may find that your favourite radio station has an internet stream and there are heaps of ways to listen to those with no concern about tuning.

Cheers - N
Yea, yea, Neil, I built your car with just a Radio signal - internet pha, in my day we didn't..... (sounding very much like my Dad :o )!
Yes, my fav. station has a stream, but Wi-Fi doesn't reach the shed.

bzrse7en
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Rolleston Canterbury

Re: Radios in sheds

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:13 pm

Not-a-Number wrote:Shed just acts like a big faraday cage. Google rules about antennas, you need to make the the wire 1/2 a wave length of whatever frequency you want. Which is something like 3m. Also horizontal is better than vertical.

Better yet get a cheap UHF aerial and put it outside.

I had the same problem but I have a computer in there now and just use internet radio. Heaps better.
Thanks, that's helpful. Thou I have a +/- 3m length of wire already hanging horizontally connected to said radio.
WiFi doesn't reach shed .
So, in part, it might just be a crap radio, thou I am not willing to go to Harvey Norman, buy another to find it is the same.

I wonder if using a car radio (cheap @ wreckers) with PLL tuner and connect it up to a 12v Computer power supply might work better.

User avatar
7ish
Paid Member
Posts: 1737
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Northwood,Christchurch
Contact:

Re: Radios in sheds

Post by 7ish » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:10 pm

How loud does the stereo in the house go..?
7ish

bzrse7en
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Rolleston Canterbury

Re: Radios in sheds

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:12 pm

7ish wrote:How loud does the stereo in the house go..?
Loud enough, but who then has control of what's playing? I mean, I am not that partial to Adele

SR Components
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:57 am

Re: Radios in sheds

Post by SR Components » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:56 pm

Buy a long LAN cable and listen to streaming radio...it is 2016 Patrick......

bzrse7en
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: Rolleston Canterbury

Re: Radios in sheds

Post by bzrse7en » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:21 am

SR Components wrote:Buy a long LAN cable and listen to streaming radio...it is 2016 Patrick......
Hold on Mark, you want to replace my Wireless with a very - very long piece of wire?
Doesn't sound like progress to me

Post Reply