street legal racers

Idle chat about any thing Sevens & Clubman cars.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

steveb

street legal racers

Post by steveb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:54 pm

hi, how many people have kit cars sole use for for track days, hill climbs etc.
I was thinking about building to low volume specs? reg's etc but without making it road legal, no head lights wipers and such,
I don't fear the process, but where i live i don't feel all that safe in a regular car/ van let alone a low sports car, so my main interest is track and hill climb/sprints.
That means a trailer and travel.
cheers
steveb

Talkiet
Paid Member

Re: street legal racers

Post by Talkiet » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:05 pm

steveb wrote:hi, how many people have kit cars sole use for for track days, hill climbs etc.
I was thinking about building to low volume specs? reg's etc but without making it road legal, no head lights wipers and such,
I don't fear the process, but where i live i don't feel all that safe in a regular car/ van let alone a low sports car, so my main interest is track and hill climb/sprints.
That means a trailer and travel.
cheers
steveb
Personally I would either build to the specs and follow the process/register for the road, or just build and not necessarily follow the LVVTA specs at all. A lot of people only use their car for competition, or nearly exclusively anyway... Bear in mind that a car that's road registered is a lot more saleable if you want to sell or need more space in the garage for the next toy.

CHeers - N

steveb

Post by steveb » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:33 am

yes , best to to follow the "law" at least then the process to make it road legal may not be a difficult one. thanks for your input.
cheers
steveb

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:50 pm

Consider the LVVTA rules will keep changing, so what might be cert-able now, might not be in 5 or 10 years. Once it's certed and kept current with rego etc.. you'll never need to go back and dick around again. In saying that, getting it certed at any time will require dicking around, hoop jumping, lots of trailering back and forth etc..

steveb

Post by steveb » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:56 pm

how long do lvvta certs " build in progress" stay current before relapsing and further charges?
I was told 13years ago, but cannot recall... sort of remember the $700 start fee, never signed up.