front suspension VSUP simulator

Idle chat about any thing Sevens & Clubman cars.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

steveb

front suspension VSUP simulator

Post by steveb » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:43 pm

while surfing the net i cam across this online suspension simulator, just add your measurements, tire? wheel data, suspension points and watch..
some accurate measuring required, www.vsusp.com
i ran the locost front end with cortina uprights, then the haynes with liteace front up rights, then checked out scrub differences etc.

bzrse7en

Re: front suspension VSUP simulator

Post by bzrse7en » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:38 pm

The cortina has heaps of scrub radius, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

davew

Post by davew » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:07 am

The Cortina's larger scrub radius will increase the effort required for turning. I let a fellow locoster drive my Seven with Toyota uprights and he could not believe how much easier the steering was. You should also have less steering kick back. But if you building a track car you are probably not to worry about steering effort. Dave W

steveb

Post by steveb » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:34 am

hi Dave, what toyota uprights and chassis design is your seven.
I am swaying towards a haynes with liteace uprights.
steveb.

davew

Post by davew » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:02 am

Steve
I have a standard Book frame, with Hi-Ace spindles. The Hi-Ace was the only Toyota van sold in the USA. I used a Corolla GTS "AE86" as a donor, so the van wheel bolt pattern has the same pattern as the Corolla's rear axle. I also used the Corolla Master Cylinder but used smaller calipers with a 50mm bore. [ calipers from a Celica or lite Van ] The control arms brackets are very close to book design with the upper brackets lowered just 4mm. I did incease the caster to 5.75 degrees, 95% road use. Dave W

steveb

Post by steveb » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:51 am

thanks Dave,
your chassis, "standard book frame" is it a "locost" by Ron Champion or something else?
i started a standard locost frame as per book, but wanted a"wide" front end.
cheers steveb

davew

Post by davew » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:22 am

Steve
My frame is standard size book frame by Ron Champion. I did add 90% of the Ozzie chassis up grades, and used a 25mm higher nose cone to clear the 4AGE engine. What engine are you using that requires a wider frame up front. Dave

davew

Post by davew » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:44 am

Steve
Here a photo of the Hi-ace spindle assenbled on my suspension. Note that the steering arm tie rod taper has been reamed out and fitted with a shoulder bolt. I've attach the rod end to the top side of the steering arm, this helps to clean the control and correct dump steer. Dave W
Attachments
lo_hiacespindle___co_bWWsT.jpg
lo_hiacespindle___co_bWWsT.jpg (241.35 KiB) Viewed 2799 times

steveb

Post by steveb » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:48 am

Dave, engine is 4agze+turbo. a wider chassis in general, front track to match wide rear diff set up, wider cockpit to suit wide driver. i struggled to find seats to fit standard locost chassis. i just fitted without a seat, i looked at my go kart seat #36 and that is even too wide. intake plenum hangs out drivers side etc, i did manage to get it all inside the nose cone i have, just...
what lower and upper ball joints tie rod have you used?, i was going to ream out top taper to suit ford tie rod
i put up some other chassis pics under "photo bucket, got it to work"

davew

Post by davew » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:18 am

Steve
The lower BJ, is a Previa lwr joint made from 1991-96, 2WD Moog P/N K9825. For the upper BJ I used a Ford F-250 tie rod P/N ES-150R which has 3/4-16 NF threads. I cut down the stock Toyota seats to fit, and then recovered them. If you can find older Porche 914 seats they are only about 16mm to wide and will compress that much. If you can find a newer Volov XC90 at a pick & pull, the 3rd row seats will fit in the space. If interested in modifying the Toyota seats, I could send some notes on the disassembly and mod process.
I also had to put a bubble in my hood for the throttle body linkage, plus cut down the oil filler neck on the cam cover for clearance, and that is with the oil pan seating 35mm below the frame rail. Dave