Road to Kaikoura

Idle chat about any thing Sevens & Clubman cars.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

heavyseven
Paid Member

Road to Kaikoura

Post by heavyseven » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 am

Does anybody know the condition of the inland route to Kaikoura (from Chch) at the moment?
Would it be passable by a seven?
I'm thinking of heading that way early next week, and still haven't fitted a bash plate to my sump...

nz_climber
Paid Member

Re: Road to Kaikoura

Post by nz_climber » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Went that way around Christmas time in a normal car, generally the road wasn't to bad, but there are a few spots that are pretty bad and would need to be going pretty slow in a 7 to keep the sump from meeting the road. There is also lots of random rocks on the road to dodge. The coast road was much better condition for a 7 although it would be a slow drive due to one way sections and again the rocks!

Good to hear you are getting out in the car more. Hopefully you have more luck with the sump this time out!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:07 pm

I have been advised that traffic can be pretty slow through that area lately as well, so I might head off in some other seemingly random direction. There is the suggestion of going to Geraldine, though the start of that trip is a fairly dull stretch of road... I'm sure I'll work something out.
Thanks for the info though nz_climber, and it's definitely good to be on the road :)

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Lachlan I always head to Geraldine via Darfield and sometimes via Old West Coast Road as far as Waddington. Then a run down the inland route. Some of it is boring but members of the constabulary are slightly less common, and the road is 7 friendly with regard to low sumps. Then there is a good bit between Geraldine and Fairlie which is essential to travel down to buy a pie!

If you then want to do a bit of a round trip head back from Fairlie to Timaru but turn off at Cave and go down towards Pareora. You can turn off to Timaru just after the gorge if you don't want to go all the way to Pareora. This was my favourite ride on the Ducati when I lived in Timaru.

Cheers
Grant

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:36 am

Birdman 7 wrote:Lachlan I always head to Geraldine via Darfield and sometimes via Old West Coast Road as far as Waddington. Then a run down the inland route. Some of it is boring but members of the constabulary are slightly less common, and the road is 7 friendly with regard to low sumps. Then there is a good bit between Geraldine and Fairlie which is essential to travel down to buy a pie!

If you then want to do a bit of a round trip head back from Fairlie to Timaru but turn off at Cave and go down towards Pareora. You can turn off to Timaru just after the gorge if you don't want to go all the way to Pareora. This was my favourite ride on the Ducati when I lived in Timaru.

Cheers
Grant
Thank you Grant. I'll give this route a go :)

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:28 am

Another good trip would be up to Arthers Pass.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Lewis pass through to springs junction... Stop for coffee then back to chch. ( once the coast road re-opens),....
7ish

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:43 am

Went to Geraldine in the end. Inland route on the way down, and visited some friends in Hinds on the way home.
Didn't have enough time to do the drive to Fairlie, with some work sneaking into my day. As such there was not much in the way of windy road to appreciate :(
The wife had a good time though, and I got to pass a lot of things.

It was a nice day out overall, and the car performed very well.
The wind deflector works nicely, though my mirrors wobble a bit.
Helmets are a must on the open road with it, unless you have a taste for thinly spread insects.
The new alternator bracket also works fairly well, but needs some adjusting.
I might also add a "headlights left on" beeper, since I'm a muppet.
on some occasions I'm glad I have such a large battery.

Proutyc

Post by Proutyc » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:48 am

I'm making this little mod from the video below to mine so that the lights turn off when the keys are out. $10 fix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti70RkSVpO4

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Easy to rewire the headlight relay to turn off when ignition is off.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk