Lynx

Idle chat about any thing Sevens & Clubman cars.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Fish86

Lynx

Post by Fish86 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:56 am

Does anyone have experience with the Nz lynx version of the Lotus 7. There a few on trademe, some certified and some not that are a bit lower in price than the chevrons or Frasers. I know they are not a Fraser, but there are a couple that have been certified back in the 90's. I do not have the immediate budget to shell out on a Fraser or even the Chevron's posted but I could trickle away at a car that was around the 5-6k mark.

An example is this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1284206652, it looks like someone has spent some time restoring it and keeping it clean and it was registered back in the 90's. I would like to work away at getting it able to be certified.

Thoughts?

heavyseven
Paid Member

Re: Lynx

Post by heavyseven » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:07 pm

I think they are essentially a triumph herald with a fiberglass lotus 7ish body dropped onto it. Whereas most other types are a space frame chassis (including authentic lotus 7's) these have a central chassis.
Some of the lynx's look okay, and might be fun to drive, but they can be a headache as I understand, and might be considerably heavier than other cars. Anyone else know more about them?

Fish86

Post by Fish86 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks

What can be a headache about them?

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Was it certed or did it have an LVVA exemption? My understanding (and I am happy to be proven wrong) is that once a vehicle with an exemption falls off the system it must be fully complied before it can be returned to the road. I don't think you can just pick it up and re-register. As I say, happy to be wrong but make sure you check it out. Ask on the LVVTA forum, their technical folk were really helpful when I was being told the wrong thing by a certifier.

http://lvvta.proboards.com/

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Swing axle rear end = death trap :o
ladder chassis = flex / whip / scuttle shake.
Weak axles / diff if too much power running thru them.

Made at a time in NZ when you couldn't get much in the way of a sports car, so people set up all sorts of cottage industries making exotic looking $hitters.
Things like Pervis Eurika on a VW floor pan and TransAm on Holden 1 ton chassis' - and Lynx of course.
In saying that there was a guy in Hamilton who campaigned a Lynx in all sorts of motorsport and he reckoned it was almost as quick as the proper space framed car he replaced it with. It was highly modified mind you.

For a cruiser, it would be OK at the right price.

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 pm

This unfinished 4AGE powered Chevron sold on Trademe last week for $3,000. Between the two, I'd have had that instead.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... ?archive=1

I crashed a Chevron at Baypark and can tell you they are really strong! I can also tell you that they can be made to go and handle very well. They are a bit agricultural compared to the likes of a Fraser but you can do what you want with them as they are a nice solid base, I've seen everything from Viva engines to rotaries to 450bhp turbo 4-pots to Rover and Ford V8s in them. If I was you I'd wait for the next cheap 3/4 completed Chevron to come down the pipe.

You can make them look damned good too....

jmsnz
Paid Member

Post by jmsnz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Gollum wrote:This unfinished 4AGE powered Chevron sold on Trademe last week for $3,000. Between the two, I'd have had that instead.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... ?archive=1

If I was you I'd wait for the next cheap 3/4 completed Chevron to come down the pipe.
As he was saying http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/special ... 830168.htm

Fish86

Post by Fish86 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for all the great feedback. Seems like the general consensus is to wait for a chevron. The link you posted jmsnz looks good but quite the trek to get it up to Auckland.

jmsnz
Paid Member

Post by jmsnz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:48 pm

Fish86 wrote:Thanks for all the great feedback. Seems like the general consensus is to wait for a chevron. The link you posted jmsnz looks good but quite the trek to get it up to Auckland.
Well, if 7 ownership was easy, everyone would have one!

scottie84

Post by scottie84 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:11 pm

It took me 4 years to find one in my budget that didn't sell as soon it was listed on tm. Even though I got a pretty good bargain I had to spend a crap load more getting it to a roadworthy state, so this is something to bear in mind. You can also keep your eyes out for a Dixon as they're at the lower cost end of the scale.