Fitting rear guards

Idle chat about any thing Sevens & Clubman cars.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

fiddler

Fitting rear guards

Post by fiddler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:19 am

Hi Guys
Looking to fit some rear guards and wasn't sure on a few things. Do you place anything between the fibreglass guard and the alloy. When bolting the guard on do you put any plates on the inside of the alloy or is this strong enough by its self.
Cheers Steve

jmsnz
Paid Member

Re: Fitting rear guards

Post by jmsnz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:26 am

Steve, The guards on my Fraser screw into some rivnuts that are straight into the alloy. They have a small plastic bead running between the surfaces which fills/hides the gap. Hope that helps. John

fiddler

Post by fiddler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks John
How is the bead held in place? Any idea where to get it from.
Cheers Steve

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Para rubber sells the beading....
7ish

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Patrick built mine the exact same way (bolts into rivnuts directly into the aluminium) and has the same rubber beading... There was some sticky residue on the beading so I presume they were initially glued to the guards but that's long since worn off.

If I was to do it, I would do it the same way except I'd stick a big penny washer behind the aluminium and put the rivnut through both the washer and ally. There's a slight deformation of the ally at the rivnut and just a little more load spreading there would be good.

Cheers - N

fiddler

Post by fiddler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks for the information guys .This is good stuff saves me doing everything twice
cheers Steve

davew

Post by davew » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:08 pm

I would suggest that you look for the old VW Bug fender welting that typically comes in 3m strip. Just cut and fit to each of the fenders. It will fill any crack and prevent mud and dirt throught up between the body and fender. Also add washers on the fender side to reduce stresses on the fiberglass attachment and you might want to add a 2nd 50 to 60mm alloy reinforcing plate, epoxyed to inside body surface before setting the rivnut. This will eliminate possible damage if someone sets on the fender. davew