fitting sr20 into Mcgregor

Idle chat about any thing Sevens & Clubman cars.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

fiddler

fitting sr20 into Mcgregor

Post by fiddler » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi Guys
Has anyone fitted a sr20 into an early model McGregor 2005.Will the gearbox and motor fit without chassis and tunnel mods. currently has kent 1600 fitted.
Cheers Steve

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Re: fitting sr20 into Mcgregor

Post by Birdman 7 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi Steve,

Probably the only person who can answer that with any certainty is Mark who used to be one of the McGregor Motorsport owners.

Both Lachlan's and my cars have SR20DE motors but they were built for them. The big problem with the SR20 is its height. I am on sump no 3 and the bash plate I had Mark install after sump no 1 was holed, nearly requires replacement or at least panel beating. I have a smooth bonnet (that touches a shaved oil filler cap and almost touches the inlet plenum and distributor cap and leads) but only about 80mm of ground clearance.

Good luck.
Grant

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Tue May 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi Steve.
I agree with Grant's assessment, Height is the problem.
My sump guard has not been an issue so far, but Grant has quite a few more Km on his car.
Our cars are very similar, and both essentially match the oldest Mcgregor chassis as far as I know. It is possible that we have a slightly taller bonnet and nose though, as Mark added some radius to it around that time, where yours will be a little flatter on top. It is possible the height was actually taken off the sides though, and not added to the middle. Can't fault it on gearbox length and positioning.

fiddler

Post by fiddler » Tue May 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for the response .I still have to make the bonnet and mabe a new scuttle to suit so height hopefully wont be an issue.i don't want a bulge in the bonnet.
Cheers Steve