A poll. Remove rear wing or not?

Idle chat about any thing Sevens & Clubman cars.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Gollum

A poll. Remove rear wing or not?

Post by Gollum » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 am

Hi All, I'm conducting an informal 'poll'. My S4 Lotus 7 is the only car that the factory put a rear wing on. To be honest it's fairly obvious why they only did it the once but I suppose it is a piece of NZ motoring history. It was built as a JPS-style car to celebrate 100yrs of Steel Brothers. It also had a bit of a profile in the classic racing scene back in the 80's and early 90's and is quite well know in local classic Lotus circles.

Here's the thing. I'm getting a bit sick of rude people thinking that it's okay to slag off my car in front of me. S4's get it at the best of times but my car in particular. I'm a peaceful guy but I've not got endless patience and one day someone's going to get smacked upside the head. Being one of the three Twincam widebodied cars, my car has a different rear guard profile hidden under the wing. Instead of the standard taper to a slab side (which I like) it has a rounded profile the same as the car below. My question is, should I remove the wing and have a car that looks like this yellow one or should I preserve the history of my car and just get over it?

Gollum

Re: A poll. Remove rear wing or not?

Post by Gollum » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:34 am

Sorry guys, not too many decent shots of my car online since the PhotoBucket debacle....

Last edited by Gollum on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:43 am

Sorry, uploaded a few more to Imgur...

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Not taking into account historical value or work involved, the look I prefer is the yellow car at the top. This might also be a side effect of the colour or camera angle though, which shows the shape rather well. That's just my first impression. At the same time, I feel like it would be a shame to change it...

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Hard one. If the history only means something to others, (and probably a select few at that) then you should make it look however you want!

I like the look without the wing. You could always put it back on (although it looks like a messy job to take off!) :lol:

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Take it off in one piece and put it in storage... it has great history, but it is a bit , how -do-you-say , not attractive to men?
7ish

20vseven

Post by 20vseven » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:28 pm

What 7ish said. Was cool at the time but now - not so much

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Ditto - looks better without it but you don't want to discard the possibility of taking it back to how it was produced at the factory...

Cheers - N

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:10 pm

As per 7ish. It would be a crime to destroy its historical authenticity but if it can be taken off, stored and put back on if wanted at some future date, do it. If not I would leave it alone. In the world of classic cars originality is now king, even if, at the moment, the well-healed collectors have never heard of Steelbro. :lol: Someone one day will want that car for its originality more than you, and you will then be quids in! :D