Electrical issues Series 4

Idle chat about any thing Sevens & Clubman cars.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Phill

Electrical issues Series 4

Post by Phill » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Waiting on my new shocks to arrive so I can get this thing back on the road, filling in time ironing out some other issues. Figured out that a bad earth or two can make it seem like your cars lights are possessed by demons! Finally got the lights, indicators sorted.
Also my two speed wipers are not turning off, Ive got fast and slow but the stop notch on the column doesn't seem to work, Maybe the wiper motor park switch? Incidentally what vehicle would my Steel Bros series 4 have used for the Lighting,Wipers stalks and assembly? Ive put 20 litre of gas in the tank and the gauge is only just above empty, Will try another 10 and see if it goes up any more, Where do I access the fuel sender unit. Ive spent too much time upside down in the footwell today already, so looking for any assistance via this forum.

Gollum

Re: Electrical issues Series 4

Post by Gollum » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Fuel sender unit is accessed via the top of the tank which means dropping the tank, which means removing some rear suspension...…

Apparently the gauge can read a bit wonky if your voltage stabiliser isn't working so best to check that first. Otherwise (if the car has been sitting) just top the tank up and see if it gets better after you've been through a few tanks - mine did.

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Oh yeah, Triumph pattern stalks etc but Ford rocker switches.....
Last edited by Gollum on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:39 pm

I'm thinking about installing a couple of these in my boot bulkhead to make life easier if I want to drop the tank just enough...…

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1764295665

Phill

Post by Phill » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Thankyou, Have got an auto sparky checking out a few things next week so will get him to check out voltage regulator and give it some time before I consider dropping the tank.

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Hang on. Are you sure there's a wiper switch on the stalk? I'm pretty sure my S4 only has a rocker switch to control the wipers.

Phill

Post by Phill » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:52 pm

After talking to a couple of people looks like my controls on the column have been changed at some stage, Got park lights and full on a stalk on the right, Wipers 2 speed, washer on left hand stalk.
Im thinking it may be the wiper motor parking switch, so will get one ordered and see what happens next.

Boris67
Paid Member

Post by Boris67 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 pm

I've had the tank out of mine when I had the rear axle out, it was a bit of a bastard to remove. The sender unit itself is easy to remove once out and it's pretty basic. You may well need to replace the pipe that runs from the petrol cap to the tank, I did and used 57mm (internal) diameter pipe - SHF57 Mackay.

I also had to replace the wiper motor park switch, it's one of these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-Rover-M ... SwiYlaMXMG

My wipers would run but just not park and my car is like Paul's - the wipers are controlled by a rocker switch on the dash.

What shocks are you getting?

Phill

Post by Phill » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Wiper park switch was ok, I found out that my controls are early Mazda, (86-90. 323) someone must have had them apart at some stage and some internals were missing (The originals must have packed up at some stage) So got a complete setup from a wrecker for 50 bucks, So all my electrics are now working apart from fuel gauge and wiper washer (have ordered a lucas pump for that) As for the tank, is it possible to remove without removing the complete axle and diff assembly, or can I just let the suspension hang down, (will it give me enough room to remove), This is one job I'm not looking forward to! The front shocks Ive ordered are GAZ GP4 2150, Theyre still a few weeks away, so got time to sort this other stuff out.