harness seatbelts

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

JohnL
Paid Member

harness seatbelts

Post by JohnL » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:05 am

hi guys
Im off to the states for a couple of weeks and have seen these harnesses. bear in mind Im not building a race car but something to scoot around in

would these be suitable as the price is brilliant
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/g ... /overview/
cheers
john
MX5 powered Chevron in prep 2014

JohnL
Paid Member

Re: harness seatbelts

Post by JohnL » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 am

sorry answered my own question
All seat belts are for off-road use only and are not U.S. DOT approved for street use.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:43 am

Also don't buy the ones from driven performance here in NZ, they might be cheap but have no safety standard markings at all, so keep well clear!

http://drivenperformance.co.nz/products ... sport-red/

They used to mention that road use was ok too, but removed that after I sent mine back for a refund!

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:38 pm

I have often wondered about these harnesses, 6 point FIA Sabelts for $60
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/K-J-STOR ... 46261.html

I know, someone will say "Isn't your life worth more than $60?"
Well, yes, but are these actually copies, or back-door genuine? How about you buy genuine off an NZ retailer at $600, but they supply these? How will you know?
Rookie was saying in a post about Ali Express that buying con-rods is a worthwhile cost saving and nobody is having problems.
There is a supplier selling genuine Momo steering wheels on TM, but I am pretty sure he is getting them off manufacturer on Alibaba.com for about $5 per 200. Selling them for $350 each.

So, how do you know what you are buying for top dollar isn't selling for $5 somewhere else?

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:34 pm

FIA introduced new holigraphic labels for harnesses a year or two ago to try help users work out what is good and what is fake. But that won't help when buying online. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, so for safety critical items I buy from known retailers

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:37 am

Mike on this forum deals with this crowd in Aussie....http://www.apvsafetyproducts.com/motorsport

I have looked at one of their belts and they are very good quality...
7ish

ibreadmore
Paid Member

Post by ibreadmore » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:44 am

I think you have to ask yourself what is a 'fake' nowadays.

We all know that most name brand products are made in China, so is there any surprise that they sell 'unbranded' product out the back door. The fact some comes with a brand name is par for the course.

Interesting anecdote for you all, my old man whose job it is to source product in China for large companies, recently dropped his iPhone. Broke the screen so took it to an Apple repair shop who refused to work on it because it was a 'fake'. Apparently comes out the factory without certain official Apple features due to quality standards. In this case they knew it was 'fake' because the home button was not flush.

Reminds me of another story, Ralph Lauren Polo shorts. Factory in the Philippines, all shirts that didn't reach quality standards were relabeled 'Polo' with no Ralph Lauren branding and sold to local dealers. Retail on genuine shirt was $100, 'fakes' sold for about $20. Exactly the same shirt, but may have a tiny stitching fault or logo that was not straight or fabric blemish.
If you see the tree you are driving into, you have understeered. If you only hear it, you have oversteered....

1985 Chevron Classic - 1256cc Chevette engine
Sales Executive at Rotorua Hyundai - Come see me for your new car - (07) 348 2494

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:56 am

I would happily put one of those Aliexpress belts in the passenger seat to get past scrutineering.
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

JohnL
Paid Member

Post by JohnL » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:23 pm

yeah I need something that will get a WOF
I have a bid on these out of a fraser, so no one out bit me please :evil:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =777112051

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Just as a bit of a follow up from this discussion about fakes, I can confirm that my 4 point sabelt harnesses (E marked) are made in Italy and my 6 point schroth harnesses (fia) are made in Germany.