To Powder or to Paint a chassis

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

bzrse7en

To Powder or to Paint a chassis

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:22 pm

The 23 isn't far off it's last strip down before completion and I am pondering the great question of paint vs powder.
Chime in with experiences, costs and recommendations.
The last car I powder coated, but vowed the next would be painted, mainly because once it's coated, you cannot modify stuff.
Now, with this decision coming up again, I quite like the idea of powder coating, the finish, the ease (for me) and cost is normally cheaper than a couple of tins of paint.
How common is it for water to get under the coating and for rust to start?
I have a couple of areas where I would think it difficult to sandblast and get powder in.
And with paint there are primers that will etch into steel and / or neutralize rust like POR15, this is a good thing right?
I reckon it will need a media blast as there is quite a bit of brazing flux, the wire wheel doesn't seem to shift all of it.
I'm erring toward a media blast, then POR15 (or similar) brushed into hard to reach places, the rest sprayed and then a 2 pack epoxy in battleship grey.

So, any recommendations on products, media blasters, powder coaters, costs, what not to do, what went wrong for you etc..?

Thanks
Patrick

7dreamer

Re: To Powder or to Paint a chassis

Post by 7dreamer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:13 pm

Powder coating is porus no mater wat any one says also it holds it integrity really well so if the base material rusts or starts to crack you will not know till its well stuffed. Ive seen it on bike frames and in my previous job looking after play ground equipment the powde would look fine and the steel underneath would be beyond saving. My current job we sell carboline paint which is industrial and marine stuff have a look at there might be something there that will help

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Mine is powder coated (sounded good at the time) but if doing it again I would paint it, like you say when you need to change anything then you mess up the powdercoat.

Mine is covered in little patches of bright zinc to touch up where things changed or got damaged, lucky it's the same colour so you can't tell from a distance.

Also I would recommend a bright colour for the frame - silver, white, grey, yellow etc are all good, just not black. The bright colours are much better for working with later on for finding leaks, cracks, dropped bolts etc

7dreamer

Post by 7dreamer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:33 pm

The big positive with powder is it easier to apply well. It is supposedly really hard to paint a chassis well due to over spray and all the high number of small tubes. Time to get the paint brushes out

7dreamer

Post by 7dreamer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:42 pm

I talked to a guy today and who has raced and restored f fords and f5000 built the bikes for the fastest indian movie etc. And he would never powder coat a chassis he uses guys who can electrostatic the paint to get better coverage

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 am

I am all for a good quality 2k paint.
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:57 am

The correct and traditional technique as used by Lotus is to firstly leave the frame outside in the elements until it is needed inside the workshop. This will likely be a couple of months as you batch order chassis to get a good price - winter is best. When the frame comes inside, spend no more than five minutes with a wire brush removing any surface rust - time is money people! Calculate how much paint you will need to cover and protect the frame adequately, then use half that amount of paint - you are adding lightness, not only now but the chassis will continue to lighten itself over the coming years. Now either assemble the car or send chassis out to customer who is restoring/re-chassis-ing a 10 year old car....

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:05 am

In all seriousness though. I'm a firm supporter of PA10 - a really good marine etch-primer. I've always brushed it on but only 'cos I don't have spray gear. Many years ago I undercoated a rear axle that I didn't end up using - end result it stayed outside for years in the elements. No signs of corrosion when I finally moved it on....

Personally I think POR15 is overhyped, I've seen it rust underneath.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:12 am

I am not a fan of POR15 either... I used it to paint a gokart frame... It forms a strong skin but doesn't resist knocks well and tends to peel off in strips.
7ish

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:49 am

Yea POR15 is only goo when you are painting directly onto rust.
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!