To Powder or to Paint a chassis

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Re: To Powder or to Paint a chassis

Post by Not-a-Number » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:27 am

Por15 isnt UV protected. I did most of my car with it and it has been great on the chassis but anything exposed to the sun, like my wishbones etc, have gone all grey and peeld off!

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Yeah, I made the mistake of painting POR15 onto a sand-blasted surface - normally the best kind, clean and a bit rough. It came off in large patches and the surface underneath was starting to rust. As for UV, they reckon it only affects the pigmentation, not the integrity but I'm willing to take your word on that Pete, given my experience with POR15. As Rookie says, it's probably best when you're painting over rust but I've never been able to bring myself to paint over rust, why would you unless the car is a POS that you are just trying to squeeze a bit more life out of.....

So far (touches wood) I've also had good experiences with the Eastwood chassis black, both the primer and top coat. It's the only aerosol I can bring myself to use.

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Yea, I have moved on from POR15.
Either, media blast, 2 pack primer and top coat or,
Still powder coating.

Quote for blast and primer is around $700+ , this'll need a 2 pack topcoat, so maybe $1000 all up :cry:
Quote for blast and powder coat is about $350 with another $100 for a zinc coating (which they said was a bad idea on chassis as I'll never get it off), a good idea for a arms thou.

I can paint a chassis in primer, but rust is going to form as soon as a blasted chassis is taken outside.
I can see why powder coating is as popular as it is.

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Just galv it! $100 probably! Zinc spray the brazed parts, alll good :lol:

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Man, Patrick you need to move to Taupo, our blasting and coating dude is great. I have had so much stuff done. I got my motorbike frame blasted for $25 hahah, and I got a 5 wheels blasted and painted in silver for $150. $700 sound rediculous.
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:21 am

Rookie wrote:Man, Patrick you need to move to Taupo, our blasting and coating dude is great. I have had so much stuff done. I got my motorbike frame blasted for $25 hahah, and I got a 5 wheels blasted and painted in silver for $150. $700 sound rediculous.
Yea, you are right on the $700, that would be the premium price, I'll be checking a few more paint places.
Powder coaters varied also, $750+ down to $350. I just need to find the bloke who likes folding stuff.
I have noticed, as a profession, powder coaters do seem to like cash and offer this service more than other service industries.

Patrick