Battery issue - what would cause one to read 0.0V?

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Talkiet
Paid Member

Battery issue - what would cause one to read 0.0V?

Post by Talkiet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:15 am

Background - great day at the sprints at Ruapuna. End of day, get in car to go hoem and it won't go. No fuel pump, no lights. NOTHING. Multimeter reads 0.0V across battery directly, jumpstart battery added lets car turn over slowly but won't fire. Gave up, had car towed to friends place and decide to recover it on Monday evening to my place....

Well… I have recovered my car to home now (Thanks Mark and Robert for the trailer loan)…. A friend suggested I show her the nature of the problem so I reconnected the battery and flipped the ignition on.

Fuel pump worked, instruments lit up. Hmmm, that looks suspiciously normal. Press start button.

Damn thing leaps into life. OK, now I’m confused.

I had multiple witnesses at the track when I put the multimeter directly onto the battery terminals and it showed 0.0V. I know that’s basically an impossible reading but as I say, multiple witnesses and was able to check the multimeter by running the same test on my jumpstart battery (12.xV)

The only thing that makes logical sense (purely matching the symptoms I observed and ignoring how stupid it sounds) is that the battery itself 100% stopped working at the track and then sometime later started working again. It’s as though it had some sort of self resetting fuse trip at the track, and then reset over the next 24 hours.

Battery voltage is normal (12.7ish) now and it turned over easily and fired straight away.

It’s a Motobatt MBTX24U battery, SLA AGM battery and they are apparently sensitive to high temperatures (-20C to 40C discharging and -40C to 50C charging) and also to charging voltage. I had a look at the datasheet for it and it mentions nothing about a protection circuit or fuse though/

I’m incredibly confused. Anyone got any ideas what it may have been? It’s concerning that the car might stop and a jump start battery wasn’t enough to get it started again.

Regards

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Re: Battery issue - what would cause one to read 0.0V?

Post by Not-a-Number » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 am

Broken terminal internally?

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:18 am

Not-a-Number wrote:Broken terminal internally?
Simple and I hadn't thought of that. I guess I'll go wiggle it about. It's certainly a possibility with the way these terminals seems to be designed.

Cheers N

Paigeo

Post by Paigeo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:41 am

I'm on my 3rd MotoBatt battery now. Avoid them like the plague. :twisted: They keep on shorting out internally. My wiring is using all the original loom with no mods where the battery and charging is concerned. When I took my battery back the shop owner said he will send this back with the rest of the faulty MotoBatt batteries so I'm guessing my experience is not a one off.

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:50 am

Paigeo wrote:I'm on my 3rd MotoBatt battery now. Avoid them like the plague. :twisted: They keep on shorting out internally. My wiring is using all the original loom with no mods where the battery and charging is concerned. When I took my battery back the shop owner said he will send this back with the rest of the faulty MotoBatt batteries so I'm guessing my experience is not a one off.
Wow... OK, thanks. Unfortunately it's working ok now but I'm sure it's still within warranty so I might give the retailer a call and see what he has to say.

This is the first bad thing I have heard about them thoug - but certainly doesn't sound like a one off battery issue from what you say.

I guess the jostling in towing it across town might have shaken something back together...

Cheers - N

ibreadmore
Paid Member

Post by ibreadmore » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:49 pm

0.0V is unusual as batteries are made up usually of a bank of 2.0V plate sets. A dead short in one bank will give a lower output but not 0.0V, you would need to get a dead short across all banks.

Broken terminal connection is most likely source but rare as rocking horse shit, only ever seen it once in 15 years trade experience. Last time I saw a 0.0V reading was from an acid leak through a cracked casing but that would be blatantly obvious, easy to find and not recoverable.

Cheers Iain.
If you see the tree you are driving into, you have understeered. If you only hear it, you have oversteered....

1985 Chevron Classic - 1256cc Chevette engine
Sales Executive at Rotorua Hyundai - Come see me for your new car - (07) 348 2494

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:05 pm

Never had an issue with my Moto batt. Sounds like a very strange issue though

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Was the 0 volts with the battery disconnected, or still wired up?

Can also say I've never had a problem with my motobatt..
7ish