park lights?

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

JohnL
Paid Member

park lights?

Post by JohnL » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:57 pm

how in the name of colin chapman do you wire in the rear park lights to come on without setting off the head lights? im running toggle switches for park lights.
john
MX5 powered Chevron in prep 2014

bzrse7en

Re: park lights?

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:33 pm

JohnL wrote:how in the name of colin chapman do you wire in the rear park lights to come on without setting off the head lights? im running toggle switches for park lights.
john
Well, I my not have interpreted your question correctly, so apologies, but in the name of Joseph Lucas, you'd wire the front park lights on the same circuit as the rear park lights, the only thing in common with the head light circuit is the earth.
Patrick

JohnL
Paid Member

Post by JohnL » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:04 pm

yeah you might have the idea right. I have the tail lights coming on when the head lights are on as normal. The park lights are in the sealed units but on a separate wire as usual and work fine off the switch. But I need a tail park light, should this be a different light or is there a different way to power the tail light.

so in short
1. the head lights and tail light come on with the light switch
2. the front park lights come on with park light toggle, but no tail light

confused

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:43 pm

You can do it 2 ways.
1. have a relay for the tail lights so you can can trigger them on without turning on the main lights (this is what I have as the Toyota fuse box I have had a tail light relay built in )

2. Put in a diode in the tail light wire between the headlight swith and the park light swith to prevent the park lights back feeding to the headlights. (Should be able to get 5 diodes from Jay car for less than $3)

JohnL
Paid Member

Post by JohnL » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:12 am

cheers
I think I will buy the proper switch, have to start making the car look good now. Its the things I cant hide.
john

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:35 pm

JohnL wrote:how in the name of colin chapman do you wire in the rear park lights to come on without setting off the head lights? im running toggle switches for park lights.
john
Colin Chapman used one of these Lucas three position switches: separate on/off switch for lights, then this one gives: side (park) lights front & rear & number plate light on; dipped headlights and park lights front & rear and number plate light on; main beam headlights plus park lights front & rear and number plate light on.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... fnoQGA.jpg

:)