Wiring

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Gollum

Re: Wiring

Post by Gollum » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:25 am

JACAR wrote:Hi, 021542014. anytime. Probably only be home or at the gym. (getting bathroom done up so no shower at home)
Thanks for the loom Carey, I started pulling it down last night. From what I can see so far, an MX5 would be a horrible car to have to rewire... :lol:

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:55 pm

Gollum wrote:
JACAR wrote:Hi, 021542014. anytime. Probably only be home or at the gym. (getting bathroom done up so no shower at home)
Thanks for the loom Carey, I started pulling it down last night. From what I can see so far, an MX5 would be a horrible car to have to rewire... Image
I can confirm the mx5 wiring can cause much head scratching when you have a whole loom but no idea where it all used to go.

Much easier for your car! Glad I have been some help..

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Boris67
Paid Member

Post by Boris67 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:54 pm

Hey Paul, how goes the wiring? Edward Scissorhands at work? :roll: :P

Warwick

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi Warwick,
It all seems to have ground to a halt. There have been so many work and family commitments which, coupled with my uncertainty, have given me a perfect excuse to do nothing! I've almost got the power circuit hooked up though and I'm hoping to get it started this weekend. Once I'm happy with that I can move ahead with hanging stuff off it....

Cheers,
Paul.

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Today's lesson. If you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge and have disconnected said gauge (behind dash), do not sit in the car like a monkey, cranking the engine over. You WILL end up with oil all over your legs.........

I finally had the courage today to hook up a battery and see if my newly installed power circuit would work. It didn't - at least at first. I couldn't understand why - I'd been so careful hooking it all up. Ah well - start from the beginning and check it all. Best start with the battery connection to the starter - :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Hook up the power lead and off we go - cranking like a champ. Hook up the fuel pump and coil to see if it will start - no. :( It's not even 'catching'. I know the fuel pump is working okay due to the loud clattering - I must have the coil hooked up wrong - a bit hard with only two wires but not beyond my ability to stuff up. Called away now but will have another go later!

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Gollum wrote:Today's lesson. If you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge and have disconnected said gauge (behind dash), do not sit in the car like a monkey, cranking the engine over. You WILL end up with oil all over your legs.........
There is a similar story about an avid Bentley owner (or could be Jansen?) who took delivery of his new model, whilst sporting a white suit. Part way up the road, the hose came adrift from oil gauge with similar results. He returned the keys to the manager without a word and never returned.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:58 pm

This is why I would never use mechanical gauges! Hopefully you get the coil sorted, would be double checking the fuel pump too, just because it's making noise doesn't mean it is working correctly.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:04 pm

I've just plugged the coil into the ignition fuse box with the other cable going to the distributor. Is that right or have I cocked it up?

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:01 pm

Positive side of coil to volts, negative to distributor. (Assuming negative earth system).
7ish

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:55 pm

7ish wrote:Positive side of coil to volts, negative to distributor. (Assuming negative earth system).
Yep, that's how I've got it. Ah well, I'll try again tomorrow. The good news is no signs of electrical fire - yet!