Wiring

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Gollum

Re: Wiring

Post by Gollum » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks Aaron. Anything like the childish scribble below?

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:24 am

Yeah like that, with the power for the switches coming from ign fusebox (if you want them to turn off when you turn the key off)

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi Guys,

I still seem to be putting off diving in properly. Just a bit nervous about all the stuff I don't know - don't want to set the thing alight!

I started carefully stripping wires out and tracing them back to where they went etc. It got so bloody infuriating though. Wires would change colours several times and then just terminate inside the loom. Others were simply not connected to anything. In the end I just went bat-shit crazy and chopped the whole damn lot out, although I left the loom that disappears under the transmission tunnel as I can't get the car high enough to replace it, I'll need to take it down the road and borrow a hoist for that.

The 'power' circuit has got me a bit confused and I don't know how the damn thing actually ran with several wires just ending inside the loom and some just not connected. I do wonder if the autoelectrican had a fiddle befor he decided it was too hard/dirty. Below is a very rough schematic:

As usual I have some questions if you'll bear with me:

1: Is the live fuse box coming off the alternator feed a bit dodgy? Most diagrams I've seen have it coming from the ammeter, albeit from the same alternator feed. Can I run it from the ammeter or can I run a second cable from the same post on the alternator to avoid soldering? I guess that would interfere with the ammeter?
2: Does anyone have an idea of what the dead-end cables should be attached to? I'm pretty sure the white from ignition is tach as the previous owner had a mechanical tach until it got stolen while the car was in storage. Is the brown/blue from the ammeter to a light or is that the brown/green from the alternator?
3: Should I just run my 'live' box from the green wire coming from the starter?
4: 14AWG is too small to be feeding a fusebox, yeah?
5: Can I borrow a time machine, go back a few years and kick myself in the nuts to stop me from buying the car?

Thanks for any answers you can give guys! :)

Boris67
Paid Member

Post by Boris67 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:37 pm

Hey Paul,

A good idea just going berserker with the cutters I reckon, as you say I think with all the changes made it's just too confusing to try and trace it.

I think your car has a new starter motor in it yes? So the old starter motor solenoid is gone and the new one resides directly on the starter motor itself? I would be inclined to run the live fuse box from the junction at the new solenoid and the feed from the alternator could also be located there. I guess it all went through the ammeter so you could actually see the current draw when anything was left on, but perhaps there's a better way to do that, than all that "hot" wire going into the dash and back?

I'd say yes to the white wire being for the original tach, as per the wiring diagram, although after another look at the diagram I see that white is also the feed to the accessory power, could it be that? I'm guessing that the brown / green and brown / blue wiring is a throw back to the old voltage regulator setup from the original generator. As far as I know the alternator needs two wires, one to tell it's inbuilt regulator to generate electricity and the other to supply the electricity (earth is through the body of the alternator). So here is where we need to figure out how these are wired in a more modern car, I'm sure others can give you that info (as I'm yet to go back and really figure out how I did it!).

Not sure on questions 3 and 4, I think you were discussing methods to run a relay for the live box?

Time machine - nope, apparently you can only go forwards in time, so perhaps kick yourself in the nuts now, leap forward and then avoid the pain? Hmmm, all seems a bit pointless...

Warwick

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Avoiding the real work, I've been arsing around with the front indicators and headlights, putting in Deutsch connectors. Geez they're great, idiot proof too!

I did wonder about doing away with the Ammeter, I'm not sure it is really necessary.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:45 am

That was going to be my question for you, do you need the ammeter? If yes what information do you want it to display? (Battery discharge, alternator output etc)

Will draw you a picture for the rest. (Just give me a day or too)

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:00 am

nz_climber wrote:That was going to be my question for you, do you need the ammeter? If yes what information do you want it to display? (Battery discharge, alternator output etc)

Will draw you a picture for the rest. (Just give me a day or too)

Cheers for that! That'd be awesome.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:54 am

Hi Paul,
I'd happily swap your problem for mine....

7ish

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:56 am

Careful what you say Evan. Otherwise you might find a tatty old S4 on a flatbed truck outside your house......

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Yes, but you'd have to take mine back!!
7ish