Wiring

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Gollum

Re: Wiring

Post by Gollum » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:17 pm

The work you've done so far looks fantastic and I must say that I was very taken with the body shape when I picked it up. So much so that I was tempted to tell you it had fallen off the trailer and been destroyed - of course I would have given you what you paid... :lol: :lol:

If I had the cash I'd be very tempted by the Sylva J15 - built with an MGF donor.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:46 pm

I really like the J15... shame it is too expensive to get a kit out here. They would go well with any 2 litre FWD powertrain.

Press on with your wiring.... logic prevails..
7ish

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:47 pm

OK back on topic, although the j15 is nice!

I am glad you cut it all out as it seems very confusing for something so simple!

This is how I would wire the power distribution side of it all.

Simple when you break it down....

As you can see all the sources come direct from the battery positive terminal, but this can vary depending on where everything is located in the car (do you have a picture that shows that?) As a rule try to keep the cable runs as short as possible.

So a variation that might work is Battery to Starter then Jumper to the Alternator as well. As its all at the same point in the circuit anyway.

I have included two 50 amp resettable fuses, they are cheap and protect the wiring to and from the ignition switch, the ignition switch, the wiring to the fusebox, the fusebox and are the only protection for the starter soleniod (plus they reset after a minute if they blow so no need to carry extra spares)

Here is the Jaycar link to them
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/Passive-Compone ... C/p/SF4106

Best idea is to mount these close to the battery, you can run just 1 wire to them and jumper between them also.

The good thing about doing it like this is all the connections are done with a ring terminal on a stud of the item.

So then the diagram would look like this

Just vary it to suit the location of your items.

For wire size look how big the wire is to the starter and alternator etc on a normal car, that will give you an idea. There is plenty of wire to use if you get that mx5 loom as they have the battery in the boot, just go to a Automotive Electrician or Battery shop they should be able to crimp ring terminals the right size onto your wire (don't solder them!)

I wouldn't worry about an ammeter at all.

Hope that helps, can do diagrams like that for the rest of the systems if you need

Cheers
Aaron

PS Evan - if you need a hand too let me know!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

JACAR

Post by JACAR » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Looms still here paul. It nearly went in the dumpster last weekend. Had a bit of a cleanout.

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Cheers for that Aaron. My battery is in the boot with a good thick battery cable coming all the way to the starter, albeit with a kill-switch plumbed in part way along. I assume that all the feeds you show from the battery I can just take from the feed to the starter? Also, what about the second, thinner, cable coming from the alternator? Is that now deleted or does it still serve a purpose? Is it for the alternator light?
Thanks for all this, hopefully once I've got the power circuit safely designed and installed everything else should just be steady as she goes - one circuit at a time.

Carey, thanks again for the offer of the loom. Can I give you a text to figure out when is the best time to swing by this weekend? I'm sure I've got your number on a PM.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:01 pm

No worries, yeah just take all the feeds from the starter.

Like this version (but with a kill switch)

Yes the alternator will still need a small wire or two for the regulator and light. Will go back and find the alternator type and then work out the wiring for you.

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks, that's going to be a lot less hot wires under the dash!

The alternator is a Lucas A127m (A127-14V/70A), I can see it has a regulator mounted to the back of it. There are two cable terminals, one at the top that has the large cable and on at the bottom with the smaller gauge wire.

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:41 pm

I have had a look

The Terminals on the alternator should be
B+ This is connected to the battery positive terminal (or starter as discussed)
D+ This is connected from the ign fusebox (i would think a 5 amp fuse would be heaps) through the charging warning lamp to the alternator

There might be a W terminal which is an AC output which might be used for the tachometer depending on what you have fitted.

Pictures help (please excuse that I haven't used proper symbols )

JACAR

Post by JACAR » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:32 pm

Gollum wrote:Cheers for that Aaron. My battery is in the boot with a good thick battery cable coming all the way to the starter, albeit with a kill-switch plumbed in part way along. I assume that all the feeds you show from the battery I can just take from the feed to the starter? Also, what about the second, thinner, cable coming from the alternator? Is that now deleted or does it still serve a purpose? Is it for the alternator light?
Thanks for all this, hopefully once I've got the power circuit safely designed and installed everything else should just be steady as she goes - one circuit at a time.

Carey, thanks again for the offer of the loom. Can I give you a text to figure out when is the best time to swing by this weekend? I'm sure I've got your number on a PM.
Hi, 021542014. anytime. Probably only be home or at the gym. (getting bathroom done up so no shower at home)

Gollum

Post by Gollum » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:32 am

nz_climber wrote:I have had a look

The Terminals on the alternator should be
B+ This is connected to the battery positive terminal (or starter as discussed)
D+ This is connected from the ign fusebox (i would think a 5 amp fuse would be heaps) through the charging warning lamp to the alternator

There might be a W terminal which is an AC output which might be used for the tachometer depending on what you have fitted.

Pictures help (please excuse that I haven't used proper symbols )

Thanks for all your help Aaron, those schematics have helped me a lot. Now I've got no excuse - I've just got to dive in and get it done!