Lack of High Beam

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Lack of High Beam

Post by Birdman 7 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light ( :? ) on why the high beam on Ladybird's 7 has stopped working? Have park and low beam but no high beam. Have checked the fuses but found no issue. I suspect the fault lies in the switch inside the binnacle, but anyone got any other suggestions before I start pulling things apart?

bzrse7en

Re: Lack of High Beam

Post by bzrse7en » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:09 pm

Is there an H-B relay, or is it wired straight to the switch?

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Now you are getting far too technical. Mechanical things I understand, but wiring? No the only thing I recall from my younger years about motor vehicle wiring is that it contains smoke, as I have recently been reminded of elsewhere on this forum.

Steve Zec did the wiring at the time of the build so I can't answer your question Patrick. And here was me thinking it would be something I could cope with like a blown fuse! :lol:

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Well, relays are electro-mechanical, so I hoped you'd be able to understand half of what is in them :roll:

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:01 pm

Just been doing some youtubing on relays. What a dark art :ugeek: I now understand the mechanical and electrical part of the relay, but electricity is still the one thing that makes no sense to me. It just doesn't seem to follow the normal rules of physics. However the clip I just watched at least lets me know that the bloke I will ask to diagnose and fix the problem will be able to do all of his diagnosis by testing the circuits at the relay pins (assuming that Patrick was correct in his assumption that relays are fitted to the headlight circuit). I am sure there are good reasons for fitting relays but wonder why a simple switch does not suffice? :? That is not an invitation for a treatise on relays v switches. I will simply accept that there is a reason and that Ladybird's 7 will either have them or not.

If they are fitted they must be buried under the scuttle which will make access an upside down job lying the wrong way in the seat with feet pointing to the stars. I am definitely getting too old, stiff and achy for that old flannel! :roll:

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Check in whatever order you want, Bulb blown, relay blown, switch blown, fuse blown. . I would start with the bulbs.

I had a relay get water in it and start turning things on and off randomly then get hot and die. Quick check, swap the relay out for another one on the car

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:47 pm

I have had a look under the dash and find four relays, but none is helpfully marked "Headlights". In fact they are all labelled and there is one for the fuel pump, one for the ECU, one for the fan and one labelled B+ :?: . As regards checking the bulbs, that does seem rather obvious and I have to confess that I didn't look at them because I had been of the opinion that both failed together. Of course I actually have no evidence of that as the last time I used the full beam was for my WoF in February. So tomorrow night I will check the bulbs! :roll:

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:19 am

Is High Beam a requirement of a WOF? If not job done....... :)

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

speleo
Paid Member

Post by speleo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:19 am

High beam is not actually a requirement for a WoF, the Virm states a car must have at least 2 low beam headlamps. And "may" be fitted with 2 main beam headlamps.
cheers
bob

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi like has already been said start by checking the bulbs (not uncommon for the failure of the first bulb to then blow the other one) and also try swapping the fuse (sometimes they look ok, but are open circuit when tested with meter)

The standard Mcgregor wiring is a bit lacking in the relay department. With only the minimum relays for the engine. Highbeam and Lowbeam lights go through the column mounted switches direct to the lights. So next checks will be seeing how far the through the system the electricity gets, you can use a test lamp or multimeter for this - but I would suggest getting someone with a bit of skill to look at it or help you out

Cheers
Aaron