In Car Communication

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Birdman 7
Paid Member

In Car Communication

Post by Birdman 7 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi there. Do any of you chaps and chapesses use an in-car intercom when touring? Ladybird has asked about improved communication during our drives (no Satnav in our 7) as the decimeter at compliance indicated the car was just loud enough. I have got away with this for five years now, but I fear the time is rapidly coming that if I want to drive further afield (like a suggested North Island tour), some form of voice communication will be a must.

I would be interested to know if any of you has an intercom system and if so where you got it from and how it is set up. I was thinking about a plug-in type with some ANR head phones (as I have used them in my aviation past), but all I can find are motorcycle systems that are bluetooth and designed to only fit into MC helmets. When I asked about a system with cords that I could plug an ANR headset into they laughed and said they had never heard of anything like that. When I pointed out that the rally boys had been using systems like this for years I received a shrug of the shoulder.

I have tried searching on line but perhaps I am not using the right search prompts.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers
Grant

scottie84

Re: In Car Communication

Post by scottie84 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi grant,

There are certainly a lot of wired options out there and they are generally cheaper than the Bluetooth variety. Check out deal extreme or aliexpress to find some good deals, here is a quick search I just ran http://www.dx.com/p/motorcycle-front-re ... lLvlfueqrU

Cheers
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bogus7

Post by bogus7 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:12 am

I have tried those cheapies.... ended up in the bin. I was going to use a rally tour set but the head sets are bulky and uncomfortable. There are the Sena bluetooth ones but for the $$$$?. I am looking at a better muffler

bogus7

Post by bogus7 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:24 am

Sena SPH10 @ $299 per head set

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:30 pm

First question is, do you have side doors? These will make a heap of difference to the wind and noise?

The wired option shown above is useless! Actually anything with wires is such a pain in a small space! They end up wrapped around seat belts and everything else too.

I looked at the rally options and found them to be the most expensive option by the time you get a full setup.

Katrina and I wear helmets (no windscreen) and use this system

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbi ... 958602.htm

It was cheap enough (that price is for 2) it works really well, vox is great it only picks up wind noise occasionally, will easily do over 7 hours of driving on a charge. Can listen to music etc too from your phone. Best of all no wires and works over 100m away.

I know it is designed for a helmet but wouldn't take much to mount it on a pair of ear muffs.

Another option is bluetooth headset designed for construction sites from the likes of Peltor but again these get expensive.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Cheers guys.

Yes I found the cheaper MC models when I searched but ruled them out on two counts. Firstly anything that cheap is just that, cheap, and I didn't really want to use them with helmets. When I enquired I was told that is how they are set up and you get what you get.

Aaron, I agree with you that wires can be a pain but I was thinking of something like an aviation head set that you plug into an under-dash mounted console, so that when you get out of the vehicle you unplug and wind the cord around the head sets. As I indicated i was going down the ANR route which will save me having to use earplugs on long journeys. We always use our side screens as Ladybird doesn't feel as close to the road that way, and it cuts down a whole lot of wind blast and noise for longer cruising anyway.

I do like the look of the Sena SPH10 and will enquire into these thanks Earle. As you say a bit pricey but what price a happy wife if it means more cruising time?