DIY cornerweight system

Anything else

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Talkiet
Paid Member

DIY cornerweight system

Post by Talkiet » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:16 pm

I've taken a few nights off working on the tyre temp sensor while I wait for my 3d printer to arrive (and work up the courage again to try upgrading the Megasquirt to 3.4.2 - didn't go well last time!) but then I remembered I had another project in mind...

Corner Weights. I figure I can make a set of 4 wifi enabled corner weights that will display weights on a cellphone for under $100 in parts and after a couple of hours experimenting I am certain I can... I have a single scale hacked up and connected to a NodeMCU 1.0 (Arduino type thing) and displaying a webpage of the weight on the scale. Getting 3 more will be easy and then I'll make one of the 4 the master and it will collect the weights off the other scales and serve out a webpage with all 4 weights and computing the weight split etc.

Might get it done this week. I have to make some level roll on/roll off stands so the car can be moved on and off them without being lifted up/down, but that's a few minutes work during hours suitable for tablesaw use.

According to a suggestion on here I'll make them out of MDF before commissioning some nice thick aluminium plates.

There are a couple of caveats...
- There will be more software work than I care to do at this stage to make them easily configurable, so initially they'll be hardcoded to a network or a phone
- The load cells I am using top out at a nominal 200KG/corner. SHouldn't be an issue for any of us, but it's not useful for anything bigger than a 7/mini...

CHeers - N

7ish
Paid Member

Re: DIY cornerweight system

Post by 7ish » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Sounds like a great idea... I have a mill, lathe and ali welder if you need some prototyping done....
7ish

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:03 pm

7ish wrote:Sounds like a great idea... I have a mill, lathe and ali welder if you need some prototyping done....
I will get this working in wood and will absolutely take you up on that offer. I have a 3d printer arriving shortly which will mean I can make the enclosure for the battery/boards etc, but a nice solid base and wheel plate would really set it off :-)

I have just ordered some Arduino boards with built in 18650 battery holders and power switches so I'm not going to be ready to decide on final form factor for a few weeks, but I expect to have this working well by the end of the weekend... (And realise there's no way I can balance my way out of needing to go on a diet :-)

Cheers - N

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Lose weight or add horsepower???
7ish

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:20 pm

7ish wrote:Lose weight or add horsepower???
Of course there are two sides to the power/weight ratio, but I don't really care about more speed.... Sure I'm slow on the straights, but that's the least fun bit of driving a 7 :-)

I'm still grip limited in 1st (and second unless the tyres are warm) so I can't really justify more power. I also don't think I'd want an incremental uplift in power - it would have to be go big or go home and that means a new car realistically :-(

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/specia ... 921552.htm

I keep looking at that at least once a week...

N :-)

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 pm

7ish

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:31 pm

Oh dear...

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I have the garage space for it too...

Sheesh. That's cheap.

Off to research Manatee and the engine...

Cheers - N

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:30 pm

Sorry.

His phone number is on his other listing.....
7ish

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Is that just an old set of scales you are using for the load cell? If so how do they interface with Arduino, analog input?

Single seater looks fun too!

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 pm

nz_climber wrote:Is that just an old set of scales you are using for the load cell? If so how do they interface with Arduino, analog input?

Single seater looks fun too!
Brand new set of scales :-) $15 each from the Warehouse. 4*50kg load cells wired in a full wheatstone bridge. I have a NodeMCU and HX711 amp connected. I could spend a lot more money getting bigger load cells if I needed more than 200kg per corner but I don't...

I'm going to have a look at the single seater on Friday morning :-) The owner also has a v8 chevron based thing!

Cheers - N