Alfa-Romeo powered 7

Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Re: Alfa-Romeo powered 7

Post by Super7Alfa » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Super Seven wrote:I used to have the A021R tyres on my Caterham but switched over to Toyo R888 when I couldn't find a supplier in NZ for them. Although I'll probably stick with the Toyos I'd be interested to hear where the Yokos can be purchased.

Cheers Mike
Barry says they are coming from the Invercargill Tyre Centre.

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Super Seven wrote:I've found the Toyos to have much better grip in the dry and when there is no standing water. They also seem to last longer than the Yokos did. My one concern has always been their performance when it is very wet, after all they don't have as much tread as the Yokos do. When I was using the car in the UK the Yokos were better priced than the Toyos.

Mike
Thank you - that's pretty much what I gathered from reading the comments on various UK Seven websites/forums, and why I was keen to stick with the Yokos. I was thinking of getting them from George Polley Motorsport in the UK (£50 each plus £250 for shipping 4 tyres) until Barry came up with a good price from the Invercargill Tyre Centre.

Super Seven
Paid Member

Post by Super Seven » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:01 pm

The Yokos are sharply priced in the UK. I was paying £48 per tyre eight years ago, so they've held their price well. The Toyos are more forgiving than the Yokos close to the limit (at least on my set up) so I'll probably stick with them for the moment.

Cheers Mike

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Super Seven wrote:The Yokos are sharply priced in the UK. I was paying £48 per tyre eight years ago, so they've held their price well. The Toyos are more forgiving than the Yokos close to the limit (at least on my set up) so I'll probably stick with them for the moment.

Cheers Mike
They are at Polley's - everywhere else in the UK seemed to be about twice the price. I did see somewhere that the Yokos are the control tyre in a stock car series, so Polley's presumably shift a lot of them ;)

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Well, finally got the tyres fitted and the bill through. Barry Leitch ordered them from the Southland Tyre Centre (1998) Ltd, Invercargill.

Five 185/70R13 Yokohama A021Rs @ $118.75 each plus GST ($136.56 with GST)

Fitting was $7.50 per tyre plus GST ($8.63 with GST)

Balancing was $9.33 plus GST ($10.73 with GST)

Grand total $802.60 inclusive or $160.52 per tyre :)

Disposal of the old tyres was $4.00 plus GST each ($4.60 with GST)

Hoping for some good weather on Sunday as it's the Gore VCC Opening Run and I want to get out and start putting miles on the tyres :!:

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:11 am

Well, it's been quite a while since my last update, 11 months :!: During that time, the Seven has done just under 2,000 miles (about 3,000kms) and has had a bit more work done. All was going well until March, when the bracket at the the rear of the muffler broke during a Vintage Car Club run. A bungy cord kept things up for the trip home and my local garage welded it up. Next was a high rev misfire in July, solved by fitting new plug and coil leads. In August, the clutch slave cylinder started leaking (again), so I looked around for one in NZ. I tried three sources, only to be told they were probably no longer available new, a new one would cost $380 and the only option was re-sleeving (at $120), so I got a new one from the UK for the equivalent of $130. I took the car to Barry Leitch for an annual service and check over and for the slave cylinder to be fitted.

I took it back to Barry's workshop in October as the idle had become very erratic and, while that was being looked at, one of the radiator hoses burst :( That was sorted out and I arranged for it to go back in to have all the old hoses replaced with silicone ones, the rather Heath Robinson header tank and piping arrangement tidied up and louvres fitted to the bonnet. (The louvres were mainly to get rid of an annoying hole that was caused during the journey to NZ. The coolant expansion tank and breather catch tank were fitted some time ago.) When I got it back the bonnet looked great and the under-bonnet area looked a lot tidier :D

Bonnet before

and after

Original header tank and piping

New set up

Original

New

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:36 am

I got the car back from Barry Leitch last Friday, just in time for the Gore Vintage Car Club's Josephville Hillclimb. This was my second go, the previous time was 2013. This year was the 10th running and there were 12 cars entered. The format was one practice run followed by a lunch break and then four runs that counted. I started quite cautiously, or so I thought, but my practice time was 2 seconds faster than in 2013. My first three "proper" runs all improved steadily, my fourth was slightly slower than the third, but all were faster than 2013. I ended up with my fastest time just under a second quicker than my fastest in 2103 - partly due to greater familiarity with the car and partly that Barry's team have got it running much better :)

My final position was fourth, behind two single seaters and a Porsche, the same three who beat me in 2013 :) A great day out and an interesting (and different!) selection of cars.

The cars and the results

2015 Results

2013 Results

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:07 am

Well, we've not long returned from the Vintage Car Club of New Zealand's International Festival of Historic Motoring in Dunedin, http://www.historicmotoring.co.nz/
During the 10 days the car covered 900 miles (just under 1500kms) and attracted a lot of attention wherever it went :)

Unfortunately, the experience brought home to me just how impractical the car is for the sort of motoring we are now using it for - I'd forgotten that when I used my previous Caterham as an everyday car and toured all over the UK in it, I was single and 20 years younger :(

I have therefore decided to put the car up for sale - see the For Sale section!

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:41 pm

The car is now sold, and will soon be heading back to the UK (again!) :D

Super7Alfa
Paid Member

Post by Super7Alfa » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:52 am

And it is now on a ship, heading for the UK. My third spell of Seven ownership is now well and truly over...