Lachlan Findlay's Mcgregor sr7

Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

heavyseven
Paid Member

Lachlan Findlay's Mcgregor sr7

Post by heavyseven » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:17 am

At long last, the car formerly known as "the heavyseven" is road legal!

Still a great deal of cosmetic work to do however, and a few electrical quirks.
with the key set to "run" but not started, the slightest wiggle makes a relay open and close.
might explain why it is a bit hit and miss to start up lately...

Then there's the windscreen wiper parking business... maybe I should just source another whole column for testing.

Still, I'm pretty chuffed. This project has been around (at least in part) for longer than the forums...

bzrse7en

Re: Lachlan Findlay's Mcgregor sr7

Post by bzrse7en » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:37 am

Party at your place - or have you already done that?

Congratulations

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:05 pm

Congrats - awesome event to finally get it legal on the road.

I see you didn't have to get backstays for the rollbar? The padding looks like it might fall off though ;)

Looks very similar to mine when I got the plate on it (bare alloy and white gel coat) there are always lots projects from now on as these cars are never finished!

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks gents :)
No party as of yet, having completed the car just in time to hide it from the rain...

The backstays were not required, as my harnesses don't mount to the roll bar.
Top padding has already fallen off once, but I think I will leave some on the sides and lower bar. It is possible to reach them with your head, so in a prang it could make a difference.

I've not really got a suitable painting area. The garage pictured is small, but it is also my own. This affords me some options though. Taking everything out, stapling plastic around the place, and spraying bits of the car one by one.
That's the current plan, and I have most of the bits. I guess I should get paint done before I try and get weather coverings on there. Lots of domes to rivet on. Don't want to have to drill them all back off...

Oh well. best let some money accumulate again first...

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:04 pm

Well done Lachlan. When the weather (eventually) comes right, you will have a blast! Interesting the trouble you had with certifying the roll bar without the padding. To the best of my recollection this wasn't an issue with mine. Clearly an interpretative thing for the certifier.

See you on the road soon(ish).

flewy
Paid Member

Post by flewy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:43 am

Good work Lachlan.....you will have a blast I bet

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:48 am

Nice one! First summer in a 7 is awesome. :D

That padding on the rollbar problem is weird. Pretty sure the options are headrest or have a padded bar at headheight. And surely you need back stays?

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:58 pm

The back stays were only a requirment if my harnesses were pulling on it.
The other reason they would be required would be for motorsport, which I have no immediate plans for.
As for the padding, I'm not worried. The stuff on top would interfere with the roof though, which is not acceptable to me. So I'm leaving the verticals and lower bar covered. Best of luck hitting your head on the top bar without being thrown clear of the vehicle first...

KiwiBirkin
Site Admin

Post by KiwiBirkin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:05 pm

Congratulations Lachlan, its been a long time buts its great to see you finally get there, a lot give up on this journey but you didn't...have fun mate as others have said Summer is on its way and its a blast in a Seven.
Why walk when you can accelerate through life in a 7..... :lol:

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Yeah I'm looking forward to summer alright, but I'm not too bothered by the cold weather, Just the wet.

A roof, side screens and perhaps some rubber extensions on the front guards should go a long way to improving the winter comfort. But some of those details should come after paint.
I suppose I should get back to work and colour some of the car in... Primer on the front right guard must be completely ruined by now, so I might start by sanding it all off.
I also have a bunch of bits for making my new and improved painting mask, but jobs around my new house keep taking up my time. Maybe I should just hand it to the pros for paint? I'd kinda like to do it myself though...

It's pretty pleasing to have the car on the road, takes a lot of doubt out of it's future. Was always worried regulations would outrun me, since I was moving quite slowly at times...