Lachlan Findlay's Mcgregor sr7

Tell us about your Seven and show us some pics of your car
This is for completed cars on the road.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

heavyseven
Paid Member

Re: Lachlan Findlay's Mcgregor sr7

Post by heavyseven » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:25 pm

So, got a pretty good test of the wet weather gear bit over a week ago. Driving back from holiday with the missus. Huge bag of stuff on the luggage rack slowly filling up with water... Good times :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g4tuYvTtjE
Bugger all water got in the car, only a dribble around the passengers foot well.
The heater is still breathing engine bay air and steamed up some of the windscreen, especially the bit right in front of the camera :|

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:18 pm

Hahahhahaa, that's awesome. Amazing that it was so dry inside. That looks diabolical!

Cheers -N

nz_climber
Paid Member

Post by nz_climber » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:36 pm

Really awesome it stayed mainly dry inside in those conditions! Well done.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:30 pm

That's amazing Lachlan. Ladybird's does not stay that dry, and seems to get a fine mist inside that wets everything eventually. Mind you we are still nowhere as wet as we would be without the roof up and doors on!

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 am

Yeah I'm pretty pleased with it.
Now that I think about it, there were a few extra dribbles in the top corners of the screen, but only over 80 km/h.
I think I can fix that with a couple of little bits attached to the top windscreen corners, but I'll have to have a little think about that.
Most of the sealing is around the scuttle/firewall, as there are a lot of joins there and it's virtually impossible to keep water from flowing down into the engine bay.

The real weak point is the wiper blades. I'm going to look into putting cut down modern blades onto my triumph arms. I will keep you all posted how that goes.

Birdman 7
Paid Member

Post by Birdman 7 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Yes the wiper blades must have come off a Dinky toy because that is about how much use they are. However they are legal, and given that I rarely use the car if it is going to rain, I will put up with them in the meantime. I found the Rain-X water repellent that we used on our club aircraft Plexiglass windscreens in Timaru is just the ticket. You don't really need wipers if you use this as the water simply beads off the screen. I use ordinary Rain-X not the Plexiglass one. Fogging on the inside was much more of a problem than the size and efficiency of the wipers, until I discovered Rain-X anti fog spray which solved that problem also.

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 pm

That sounds promising Grant. Also it looks like modern wipers (those on our nissan leaf for instance) are essentially compatible with a bent metal stick. I might look into both solutions at once. I've been using the car as often as possible, especially if it's raining, as we're down to a two car household now.

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Mon May 07, 2018 3:32 pm

Fiat-Lancia track day was a blast. But I may have conducted my first two runs a bit close together.

Got the car quite warm, and developed an idle problem.
There's exhaust gas in the oil, which the intake is breathing in.

I've narrowed it down to originating in the head. Cooling system not involved which is nice. I'll do a compression test tonight, maybe it's just one cylinder...

Didn't get any worse as the day went on, so that's also good news.

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Tue May 08, 2018 4:40 pm

All cylinders are at 145 PSI, my spare motor reads around 165 PSI... In she goes. I'll take the opportunity to hot up the first motor.

Here's how it went after the damage was done, so not exactly severe. (360 degree video)
https://youtu.be/O1n8HS9LWCk

heavyseven
Paid Member

Post by heavyseven » Fri May 11, 2018 12:17 pm

So the spare motor wont start. I guess I'd better do some diagnostics.
Compression: Tick.
Crank: Tick.
Fuel: Pump to rail confirmed, need to check injector function.
Spark: Not a clue, but easy enough to check.
Guess I'd better get onto that, given I want to drive it to Dunedin tomorrow...

Got plenty of spare bits if I need them though, can always cannibalize the other motor a bit too.