WANTED/ Tall Escort Diff Head

Any parts for sale or wanted

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
If you list any manufactured lotus seven parts or any other item you must own the rights to manufacture them, if you dont they will be removed.

Please add links to trademe auctions.

Please no discussion on parts for sale other than to find out if it would suit your car, please keep any negotiation on parts to PM's or emails.
User avatar
Not-a-Number
Paid Member
Posts: 845
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: WANTED/ Tall Escort Diff Head

Post by Not-a-Number » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Going to have a look at a couple of diffs this arvo. What do I need to look for? As in how many variations are there? Difference between mk1 and mk2, sports, vans? Etc.

User avatar
feckn7
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:59 pm
Location: Carterton, Wairarapa, NZ

Re: WANTED/ Tall Escort Diff Head

Post by feckn7 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:00 pm

obviously there's a few ratios available
3.53, 3.77, 3.9 (Cortina GT) 4.12, 4.4 and I thinks theres even a 4.7 or 4.9 possibly even a 5.2 (not sure)
Of the English axles the biggest difference over the years is the size of the diff flange - it is changeable ( I have one of each size spare now - with diffs)
Then they went to the baby atlas design where the diff head is in the casing with a removable plate on the back.

David

type37
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:09 pm
Location: Hastings

Re: WANTED/ Tall Escort Diff Head

Post by type37 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:09 pm

If you are lucky there will be a very thin aluminium tag on the underside of the diff with various numbers on it. The number you are looking for will show the final drive ratio e.g.3.5:1, 4.125:1 etc. Some say you can check by turning the driveshaft flange and observing how much the axles turn.
Escort Sport and Escort van rear ends had bigger brakes-the drums are 9 inch diameter and just over 2 inches wide compared to 7 inch and 11/2 inches wide for the saloons.

type37
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:09 pm
Location: Hastings

Re: WANTED/ Tall Escort Diff Head

Post by type37 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:38 pm

Have a look at Trademe listing # 663767623. There's a whole back end with what is advertised as a 3.65:1 final drive ratio. I would query that as it is my belief that they came in 3.5:1 or 3.77:1. It has been welded up so might not be ideal in a road car.

User avatar
Gollum
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:15 am

Re: WANTED/ Tall Escort Diff Head

Post by Gollum » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:50 pm

type37 wrote:Have a look at Trademe listing # 663767623. There's a whole back end with what is advertised as a 3.65:1 final drive ratio. I would query that as it is my belief that they came in 3.5:1 or 3.77:1. It has been welded up so might not be ideal in a road car.
Hey Pete, I know the guy selling this. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Might be able to get you a discount.....

User avatar
Not-a-Number
Paid Member
Posts: 845
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: WANTED/ Tall Escort Diff Head

Post by Not-a-Number » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Gollum wrote:
type37 wrote:Have a look at Trademe listing # 663767623. There's a whole back end with what is advertised as a 3.65:1 final drive ratio. I would query that as it is my belief that they came in 3.5:1 or 3.77:1. It has been welded up so might not be ideal in a road car.
Hey Pete, I know the guy selling this. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Might be able to get you a discount.....
Haha yup. Ill talk to him. I couldnt work out the ratio of the second one at the time so took a gamble. The welded diff got into the crown gear unfortunately.

User avatar
flewy
Paid Member
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Whitby, Porirua

Re: WANTED/ Tall Escort Diff Head

Post by flewy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:58 am

Not-a-Number wrote:
Whats the NZ forum for that sort of rally stuff?
You could try this forum Pete, bit quiet but some of these guys have sheds full of bits.......

http://www.fordrsoc.org.nz/forum/

Matt
2010 4AGE Blacktop Fraser Clubman......talk about fun......CALEB7

User avatar
Not-a-Number
Paid Member
Posts: 845
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: WANTED/ Tall Escort Diff Head

Post by Not-a-Number » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:36 pm

flewy wrote:
Not-a-Number wrote:
Whats the NZ forum for that sort of rally stuff?
You could try this forum Pete, bit quiet but some of these guys have sheds full of bits.......

http://www.fordrsoc.org.nz/forum/
Thanks Matt will do.



What's a 3.9 ratio? Is that normal. It has 10 pinion and 39 crown but I can only find reference to 9 pinion 35 crown 3.89 ratio

Post Reply