Rose joints on steering LVVTA

For asking and answering questions regard the NZ Hobby Car Tech Manual.

Rules:
Only ask and answer questions about the NZ Hobby Car Tech manual any other questions not releated please ask in the other tech forums.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

bzrse7en

Rose joints on steering LVVTA

Post by bzrse7en » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:45 pm

Am I correct in saying rose joints are OK on steering in place of tie rods?

I am trying to eliminate bump steer on my 23, 1/8" in rack height makes a noticeable difference to toe in/out and because the rack is mounted vertically on a bulkhead, it isn't possible to shim for height, I thought rose joints and shimming at the outer end might be the best option.

Patrick

7dreamer

Re: Rose joints on steering LVVTA

Post by 7dreamer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:54 pm

god dam i nearly had it all typed here for all to view and my fat fingers fucked it up and i went to another page and it all disapeared so Ill scan and pm you the relevant sections later this evening.
In short you can as long as they are high quality radial load rated and not teflon lined and you use 8.8 or 10.9 rated bolts

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:27 pm

Sounds bloody marvelous, and sorry to hear your wasted time "fucking things up".
Thou I thought Teflon packed joints were the bees knees. I have some spare 1/2" Cro-moly teflon joints kicking around too.

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Yea I have teflon lined ones on my car for all the joints and the Cert guy didn't even blink, he just told me to put a washer on the single sheer ones so that if they fail then they don't cause catastrophe.
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

7dreamer

Post by 7dreamer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:24 pm

section 7 . 28.2(e)
teflon can swell and extrude there fore should not be used in this application.
My scanner is packed away some where dam house renovations. Ill get is scanned at work 2moro

McGregor Motorsport

Post by McGregor Motorsport » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:33 am

The drawings I have of the 23 lower A-Arm indicate a length of 11.25" from centre of the inside mount to the centre of the trunion mount. hope this helps.

Mark

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:11 am

McGregor Motorsport wrote:The drawings I have of the 23 lower A-Arm indicate a length of 11.25" from centre of the inside mount to the centre of the trunion mount. hope this helps.

Mark
If they are the CAD drawings I gave you, then they are not entirely accurate. The guy has changed a few things.
I think it is the tie rod end I used on the top arm. I am not happy with the lower A arm anyway, so I might just a new one and make it a bit wider. No worries about 1" more track.

McGregor Motorsport

Post by McGregor Motorsport » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:33 am

These are my own drawings I have sourced.

McGregor Motorsport

Post by McGregor Motorsport » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:59 am

Also , put the tie rods ends in from the bottom and that will make a huge difference , I had the same issue with the 18.

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:19 pm

McGregor Motorsport wrote:Also , put the tie rods ends in from the bottom and that will make a huge difference , I had the same issue with the 18.
Hmmm, this won't work, as the arms are non reversible, maybe the drum brake ones can be swapped over?? Or do you mean put rose joints (not tie rods) on below?
With the rack in the position indicated on the drawings, the rose joints would need to be "in line" with the boss on the arm, not above or below. The rack can be raised a little before the UJ strikes the chassis, or it could be dropped below where indicated. It looks like I have some experimentation to do.
It is good to know rose joints are allowed on the steering.

Mark I'd like to have a look at your 23 drawings - if possible. There might be something there I don't have.

thanks for everyone's input.
Patrick