Steering column positioning

For asking and answering questions regard the NZ Hobby Car Tech Manual.

Rules:
Only ask and answer questions about the NZ Hobby Car Tech manual any other questions not releated please ask in the other tech forums.

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

JDaly

Steering column positioning

Post by JDaly » Mon May 28, 2012 7:32 am

Section 7.7.2 in the manual specifies that the steering column cannot be positioned between the accelerator and brake pedals. It seems a bit restrictive. How should I understand this? Does this apply to just the actual steering column section, or does it include the intermediate shaft?

I suppose it is ok to position it between the brake and clutch pedal...

kiwia110

Re: Steering column positioning

Post by kiwia110 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:52 am

If you did have any part of the shaft between those 2 pedals how would you get your foot from the accelerator to the brake? Even if you only wanted to do left foot braking other users would perhaps find this a bit difficult :)

bogus7

Post by bogus7 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:24 am

I think more to do with the likes of T Buckets where the steering heads almost vertically down between the pedals.

JohnL
Paid Member

Post by JohnL » Tue May 27, 2014 8:02 am

yes t buckets with a vertical shaft stopping foot movement across from pedal to pedal. I thinks it one of the gray boxes in the manual
MX5 powered Chevron in prep 2014

kiwia110

Post by kiwia110 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:43 am

The same thing applies whatever the rake of the column. If it's between the pedals you can't get your foot from brake to accelerator or vice versa. Possibly even worse in the restricted footwell of a clubman than a T bucket or such, as in the clubman where your heel is resting on the floor.
There is nothing in the rules to prevent the column going between brake and clutch.

McGregor Motorsport

Post by McGregor Motorsport » Wed May 28, 2014 7:42 am

James , give me a call.