Blacktop leanness at middle/high revs?

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
Forum Rules.

1: Post anything to do with general engine & gearbox stuff in the main forum.

2: Only post in the engine specific tech forums with technical information on that engine as it is there for people to find technical info that has been posted on these forums and is usefull to their engine build in their clubman this should help people locate all the good tech help you have all supplied in the past.
Talkiet
Paid Member

Re: Blacktop leanness at middle/high revs?

Post by Talkiet » Wed May 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Oh, I didn't link it here before but here's a video demonstrating the issue...

Note the pretty lean readings... I wish I had a previous log of a similar situation to compare to but I don't. I certainly think I would have noticed the lean readings.

Cheers - N

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Wed May 16, 2012 6:02 pm

An old guy once told me, if it sounds like fuel it's proably ignition and it sounds like ignition its probably fuel. Best of luck on your hunt.
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed May 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Rookie wrote:An old guy once told me, if it sounds like fuel it's proably ignition and it sounds like ignition its probably fuel. Best of luck on your hunt.
Heh, well we've checked ignition and all sparks appear present and accounted for.... But let's see what someone with a full toolset and a dyno says about it :-)

Cheers - N

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Wed May 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Talkiet wrote:I've written literally 2 things to the ECU... One was to make it recognise there was a WB O2 connected (but it's only there for logging) and the other was to change a temperature reporting from F to C in the logs. Both these changes were before I noticed the change in behaviour so I'm pretty confident it's not them.

I decided to let Spec have a look at it and the guys first impression was that it sounded like a fuelling issue. They might also chuck it on the Dyno - Any guesses what it should return ? :-)

Cheers - N
Yea, you said earlier you hadn't changed anything. Have you thoroughly checked the vac line to the ECU? It could easily have been damaged where it goes thru the bulkhead or could have partly pulled out of the ECU. Also, is that fuel filter still connected in the vac line?

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Wed May 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Yep.. I have checked the Vac line to the ECU and yes, the filter is still in line. I actually disconnected the line and examined the whole length and tested it out in the open (With the filter in place still)

The MAP values reported by the ECU seem completely sane as well, so the sensor isn't duff.

Cheers - N

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Wed May 16, 2012 7:17 pm

OK, this is strange, although BTW, it was set to centigrade.
Why not go for a drive with a lap top and tunerstudio, turn on Ve-analyze-live and do a tuning run. Before doing so, save the original *.msq file.
If it brings up the values in the problem area, burn it to the ECU. Then see what it's like. If it goes a bit strange after a 15 min drive, re-burn the original *.MSQ into the ecu.
Nothing lost, nothing gained.

Fivey
Paid Member

Post by Fivey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:28 pm

You sort out your glitch Neil?

Talkiet
Paid Member

Post by Talkiet » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Yes. A combination of things with no particular smoking gun...

Spec performance cleaned the injectors and replaced the O-rings. There was noticable deterioration on one of the injectors spray

Spec also did a full dyno tune and gained about 10hp plus cured a couple of the quirks (like the stall after 10 mins of running when at idle)... It's noticably sharper than the road tune.

Also recently I removed the exhaust to apply the vinyl and since resealing the exhaust when I put it back on, the WB oxygen sensor values have been notable more consistent - I'm sure there was a small leak just before the O2 sensor.

All runs great now... ran well before as well... I suspect Patricks tune was thrown out by the injector issue but I decided to get everything done at once.

Cheers - N