Starting a new engine!

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
Forum Rules.

1: Post anything to do with general engine & gearbox stuff in the main forum.

2: Only post in the engine specific tech forums with technical information on that engine as it is there for people to find technical info that has been posted on these forums and is usefull to their engine build in their clubman this should help people locate all the good tech help you have all supplied in the past.
Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Starting a new engine!

Post by Not-a-Number » Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 pm

So im close to putting the engine back in. Carbs and timing are going to be way out obviously. How do I go about getting it running well enough to run the engine in safely? I just don't want to have one cylinder super lean for some reason and wreck something.

Should I get it sort of running and then take it to a rolling road and tune it properly or is it better to do once things have bedded in and had a bit of time to get working?

Timing is not a worry it's more the carbs. Are there people that flow bench carbs and tune them to something good to start with?

bzrse7en

Re: Starting a new engine!

Post by bzrse7en » Tue May 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Assuming your jets are correct, they are clean and floats set to correct heights. There will be published jet sizes for your engine, and if correct, it won't be lean above idle.
There is then a set up procedure to get them close enough, a set number of turns on the idle mixture and butterflies close to correct. This is a good start, and once running the idle mixtures can be tweaked to get it idling smooth.

If you have points, set timing statically with a 12v test light, this will be very close.
Or take the plugs out and set the timing dynamically with a strobe light whilst cranking.

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 am

My book on tuning 4cylinder fords, with 2x40mm dcoe webers and a stage 2 cam, suggests you should have 34mm chokes, 140 mains, 180 air correctors, f16 emulsion tubes, 45pump jet, 45f9 idle jet and a 4.5 aux Venturi. These settings would be a good place to start.
7ish

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Wed May 23, 2012 8:24 am

^ that is very similar to what I have in my car. Is the cam new? if so you will have to run the engine above 2500 rpm for 20 minutes to bed it it.

Also do this:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Locost 7: Powered by 1660cc of British FURY! coming to a town near you soon.

Remember: If a mechanic can do it, so can YOU!

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Wed May 23, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks for the info, I have all the jet sizes written down at home so i'll have a look after work. Nah the cam isnt new, the engine guy said it had the tiniest bit of wear on one of the lobes but should for fine for a long time. Think I said way back it was a 244 (because that what it says in the leitch booklet I have), but its actually a 234 so thats why theres no extra cut outs in the pistons.

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Wed May 23, 2012 9:01 am

Those breakin instructions are what the engine re conditioner told me to do. He said hard acceleration under load but slow deceleration to not suck the rings off the walls too much. Also you probably only want it to run a max of 5minutes before running it in. Im pretty sure ill struggle to get it running well within 5mins!

Also what oil should I run? Engine guy said to use mono 30w which is 10bux a L but thats you standard lawnmower oil. Assume there is proper 30w oil for breaking in?

7ish
Paid Member

Post by 7ish » Wed May 23, 2012 9:53 am

Use what the engine guy said....
7ish

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 am

You can, but its not really worth it, Just a good quality mineral oil will do, and change it sooner rather than later.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/brk.aspx

Rookie
Paid Member

Post by Rookie » Wed May 23, 2012 11:21 am

I guess I should say why... Its because (good) mineral oil doesn't have any friction modifiers in it, so it actually promotes wear ( a good thing when trying to bed in an engine).

Not-a-Number
Paid Member

Post by Not-a-Number » Wed May 23, 2012 11:47 am

Called the engine guy and he said use this:

http://tradecatalogues.repco.co.nz/Repc ... _30/327569

Luckily I already have a couple of these for my lawnmower. So unless I can find some good mineral oil from repco or someone then ill chuck this in.