Mufflers / Exhausts

Moderators: Simjen, KiwiBirkin

Forum rules
Forum Rules.

1: Post anything to do with general engine & gearbox stuff in the main forum.

2: Only post in the engine specific tech forums with technical information on that engine as it is there for people to find technical info that has been posted on these forums and is usefull to their engine build in their clubman this should help people locate all the good tech help you have all supplied in the past.
bzrse7en

Mufflers / Exhausts

Post by bzrse7en » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Gentelmen.
The exhaust system is on the cards soon and I am pondering the choice of a muffler. Has anyone got any recommendations?
I realize the answer to my question is not straightforward.
Not wanting to fail the noise test, I want to be reasonably assured my choice will be quiet enough, but not sound like a corolla.
There are a few Chinese copies of US made tuned mufflers on TM quite cheap, designed for V8s. I assume because I have a Turbo not a N/A V8, a tuned muffler is a waste of time right?
And then there is chambered or straight thru mufflers.

Anyone got any decent experience?

7ish
Paid Member

Re: Mufflers / Exhausts

Post by 7ish » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:33 pm

The turbo takes most of the energy out of the exhaust... I used a 1000cc bike muffler on my car and it was very quiet. Make sure it has a 2.5 or 3" core.
7ish

bzrse7en

Post by bzrse7en » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks Evan
I did a bit of time on the net last night, and a straight thru muffler is the best for a turbo, I had thought about 2 1/2". My exhaust system is going to be fairly short, so had a look at turbo'd MR2 set-ups for ideas.

20vseven

Post by 20vseven » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:53 am

I found even a very short Autobend type resonator took the edge of the ehaust note. With the turbo the exhaust is pretty quiet. I had to run a chambered design earlier when N/A - much noisier.